99' ford powerstroke diesel, any downsides?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Looking at a 99 Ford f250 4x4 with the powerstroke diesel and automatic trans... <br /><br />Just wondering what little gremlins those powerstrokes may have, and how long the auto tranny should be expected to run before it needs major help.... <br /><br />Any and all input would be greatly appriciated.. Thanks.. :cool:

NOSLEEP

Commander
Re: 99' ford powerstroke diesel, any downsides?

Hard to find a better truck snapper.<br />99 was the first year for the Super Duty.<br />The 7.3 DI Navistar was pretty much perfected<br />Ford just had the horse power increased in the <br />later models. You should get excellent service<br />out of the auto trans. Keep the trany oil clean<br />and dont overheat it, It will last for 3 or 4<br />hundred thousand miles. Best truck Ford had made<br />to that date.

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

ftw.truckmoxie.com/visit.asp? or ftw.truckmoxie.com/ the biggest potential problem is the cackle problem. these sights may help. another is www.texastowncar.com/main_page.cgi lots of good info.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br />Looking at a 99 Ford f250 4x4 with the powerstroke diesel and automatic trans... <br /><br />Just wondering what little gremlins those powerstrokes may have, and how long the auto tranny should be expected to run before it needs major help.... <br /><br />Any and all input would be greatly appriciated.. Thanks.. :cool:
snapper, you can not go wrong in getting one.<br />I have had a Ford diesel a long time from the early 6.9's up to the 7.3's.<br />The new 7.3's were almost bullet proof.<br />Send a email to this man. <br /> dieselmann@intellidog.com <br />His name is Charles Ledger.<br />He can answer any question you might have about the power strokes.<br />Or visit his website, http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann <br />He is the man to know if you own a P/S.

ezbtr

Commander

How many miles on it? What kind of mpg to expect and what is price range? I'm thinkin right along your lines as well. Would love some more info.Heinz

Cannon

Cadet

Look very closely at the air filter and air box assembly. If you see dirt or a dust trail on the intake side of the filter pass on that vehicle. Also pass on any that have a K & N installed. They pass a significant amount of dirt. Ford has a new super heavy duty air filter and air box assembly available for the 99's through the 02's.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

I can't help with much except my experience with mileage. Drove 600 miles with 5 people and camping gear, pulling 3000lb boat in a 2000 F350 crew cab diesel and got 14.5 miles per gallon driving 70-75 miles per hour. I was impressed.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Just happened upon it late last night so I dunno how many miles on it yet... Has'nt called me back yet, and its possible it may already be sold (hope not, but my luck)... <br /><br /> Looks like pretty much bare bones 8' bed standard cab, which is fine by me.. Don't need no fancy'd up crew cab.. I'll still be able to make U turns and get the boat back in the tight spot.. :D <br /><br /> Ad says the guy wants $14k, so we'll see..<br /><br />All good stuff guys.. keep it comming..

NOSLEEP

Commander

I sold my gussied up crewcab, won't be getting <br />anymore any time soon. I use to be able to drive<br />one for 6 to 12 mths and get pretty much what I<br />paid for it when I sold it.<br />Since our dollar has been on a steady rise.It has<br />put a stop to that. When our dollar was trading <br />at 64 cents it worked out well to sell across the<br />boarder for U.S. funds. When the money was changed<br />back to Canadian funds, a tidy profit could be <br />made.Not no more at 77 cents, so its back to a <br />XLT S/C Diesel for me.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

SOLD! and not to me... :( Oh well, keep on lookin'...

BRIAN03

Petty Officer 1st Class

Galley plugs leak (redesign galley plug). High pressure oil pump failure. Oring leak on fuel line oring under turbo passenger side rear. Turbo loud and sound like a hover vacuum and low boost. Air box redesign. Oil leaks on CAC tubes from turbo leaking oil into the cold side. Clamps redesign on CAC boots. CAC boots blow off once an awhile. Pinion seals leak on rear end. Noise in rear end from clutch packs. Door ajar switchs fails. Noise in frontend from sway bar link arms the link arm on drivers side is put on backwards from the factory. New style link arms. Shipping leaf stiffeners in front springs. Front spring pad bushing kits. New material. If the truck has been used to haul heavy loads It can distort the wastegate valve.