Big decision to make.

11 footer

Lieutenant
Hi everyone.<br /><br />I have to make a very big decision in the near future and I’d like to get some input from you guys on what may be a good road to take.<br /><br />I go to a vocational high school. We switch every week from classes to shop. The first year at the school you go threw 14 out the 20 shops.<br />The shops offered are the following:<br />ACR <br />Autobody<br />Automotive <br />Business <br />Carpentry <br />Commercial Art<br />Cosmetology <br />Culinary <br />Bakery<br />Diesel <br />Drafting <br />Electrical <br />Electronics <br />Graphic Arts <br />Health Tech. <br />Internet Tech. <br />Machine Tech. <br />Masonry <br />Metal Fab <br />Plumbing <br /><br />The one’s that I’ve been to so far are:<br />Masonry,carpentry, machine teck, diesel, metal fab,bakery, electrical, graphic arts and plumbing.<br /><br />Out of those the only one’s that I didn’t enjoy where capertry, graphic arts and electrical. The only one of then that I wasn’t excepted in to was electrical, I disliked the instructor and he knew it.<br /><br />I got a 100% for the week in diesel and they practically begged my to take the shop, the plumbing guy also highly suggested I take his shop. <br /><br />I still have a handful of other shops to spend a week in before I make up my mind they are:<br />Autobody, Automotive, Culinary, ACR and Internet. <br /><br />My question is:<br />How do you suggest I pick a shop? What should be the deciding factor? <br /><br />I can already tell I’m gonna have a hard time making up my mind.<br /><br />I will spend three years whatever shop I pick, I want to make sure it pick the right one.<br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br />Ryan.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Big decision to make.

Hi Ryan T. good luck, this will be the toughest decision of your life and likely the most important, I just retired Dec 29th after 40 years and IMHO I can say this, I loved my job and hated to retire, if you pick a profession that you don't like you will truly regret your decision, going to work every day for the next 40-50 years doing something you don't love will stress you to an early grave. Think this over very carefully, you'll get tons of opinions, good, bad, and otherwise. Maybe you should decide what you would like to do and select courses that point you towards that end, and always have a back up plan or two, just in case. :)

NOSLEEP

Commander

You should make your decision based on which<br />you enjoy participating in. If you are making a <br />career choice you will want to be sure you enjoy<br />it. You may also want to factor in which profession<br />is the least detriment to your health.<br />As some of these can be very hard on your body<br />over time. Money that you can make should be<br />important as well. But I dont think it trumps <br />the other concerns.

LubeDude

Admiral

I wish I would have had even one of those coices!<br /><br />I was an Autobody Tech for 25+ Years and it ended up poisoning me! Lots of chemicals to work around every day and not always adaquate protection! I really liked it and made good money, but now Im paying for it! Problem is, nobody cares and its next to imposable to prove!<br /><br />out of the things you like, there must be something you really liked better than the rest!<br /><br />Sit back and think about what you really like, (other than girls) and make your decision!

Trent

Captain

Check out Aviation Techs. Pay is ok. Depending on where your at and what type you do.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Pick the one you would do for nothing. The fact that you can be paid for doing it later is a bonus. Don't spend your whole life doing something you don't like just to make a living.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ryan,<br />Remember one of the great things about our country is that your not locked into a profession or a trade for your entire life. Some of our European brothers aren't so lucky.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Stay away from the internet one. Way too much competition out there for jobs using a computer. If you take the plumbing or the electrical (even though you have issues with the instructor) you can find a job anywhere in the united states. Seems places are always looking for a plumber and the pay is good.<br /><br />Good luck. Like a previous poster mentioned pick the one you would do for free. It is a lot easier getting up in the morning when you are doing something you love to do.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Crazy thing about it Ryan, is that what you choose now may not be the nich in life your looking for. But everything you learn now, even if you do change careers down the road will help you in some way. It did for me. I operate a 670MW power plant. Everything I did in my younger life helped me in what I'm doing today. Don't be afraid to tackle anything and keep an open mind. I'm sure you will choose wisely.<br /><br />Good Luck!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

2 things to consider.<br />1- pick one that interests you<br />2- pick one that offers the most diverse job opportunities in multiple fields.<br /><br />Example, culinary, either you have a passion for it, are good at it, and you know what you will be doing. Same with masonry.<br /><br />But with machine tech, you can apply the skills to countless types of machines and computerized equipment, in hundreds of different industries. Then you can be a service rep, a sales rep, or possibly get into designing new equipment. With the background in a field like this, you can branch out or switch to different fields as your interests change over the years.

aspeck

Staff member

Ryan, you have had a lot of good advice here, and I think the best is chose what you enjoy most, even if you would not get paid for it. To be happy and enjoy your work is better compensation than anyon can pay you. You will be healthier, happier, and generally more fun to be around if you enjoy doing what you do day in and day out.<br /><br />It is an important decision, Ryan, but it is not an irreversible decision. So, don't sweat it and chose what you like to do, if it doesn't work out, it will be education anyway, so it won't be wasted time.

11 footer

Lieutenant

Thanks for the replys, guys.<br /><br />I already have know that I'm not going near the internet shop, there is no job market for that sort of thing anymore, everyone and there mouther can make a wedsite now with a ten dollor CD. Besides, unless I'm doing something I enjoy on a computer, I hate sitting at one.<br /><br />Right now my number one pick it pluming. Not because it was the most fun but because no matter what ever happens, people will always need a plumer.<br /><br />I still have to go threw ACR (also known at HVAC). Thats up the top of my list, too.<br /><br />If I took Culinary I would always have a job, my dad is in the business. But its not for me, I've worked at a function hall for a while now and I could never work there for my whole life.<br /><br />We'll see.........next week I go to automotive.<br /><br />When my dad was very young, like early 20's be borrowed as much money as he could and bought a bunch of rental property. When he did it the ecomey is really bad so prices where very low. He made a killing off those few buildings and my the time he was in his early 30's he owned all of them and was buying more. Now he's almost ready to retire and collect rents and upkeep his properties for a living, he's is only 45 and has been putting this idea off because he doesn't think he would know what to do with all that time. I like the spot he is in. I'd like to look into doing something simular, I'm dumping the Internet shop and spending a week in "Business", they teach you how to invest money and things of that nature. I've never been to good with numbers so it may not be my cup of tea, but its worth a try.

DC698

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Ryan, I went to Tri-County Voc Tech in Franklin, MA. and it was a great experience! I would do it over again if I had to make that choice again. Anyways, I too went through all the exploratory shops like you are now. I remember it was hard to pick the right one to go in to. One thing though, now that I own my own house, cars, boats etc.. the shops that I went through then, are helping me out now, fixing various things. I majored first in Masonry, but got out in my sophmore year and went into electronics. In the mid 80's construction was down and thats when technology started getting real big. Went on to getting my degree in engineering, got a job in early '90's in tech field..got laid off. Started back in the Masonry/chimney field and 13 years later still doing it. As some of the other posters said, you have to like what you do, to be able to wake up every morning and go to work. I always loved working with my hands and masonry so I never think of it as a chore to go to work..even with this CR*PPY frigid weather. The plumbing field is a great trade to get into. I have a lot of plumbers as friends and work closely with plumbers and HVAC guys. Think about your choices carefully and decide on the one you most enjoyed! And keep the grades up so you can go out on Co-Op. (I think they still do that right? Go to work on your shop week with a company?? ) I did it through my whole senior year..it was a great learning experience. Good luck on your choice. --Derek

11 footer

Lieutenant

Yep,<br />They still do Co-Op.<br /><br />I go to Shawsheen Valley teck, in Billerica, MA.