Falsification of Application

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
A couple of years ago, my wife applied for a job at the local hospital. At that time she was aware that a high school diploma was required. However once we was looking at the application, The subject of education read this way "High School Attended". She did attend high school, but had dropped out due to early marriage and tranfer of her husband service requirement.<br /><br />With the application reading the way it was, it did not specify asking if you had a diploma or not. Through 3 interviews, not once did anyone ask her about her diploma. She was hired as on call personnel and then later proved to be an asset and then promoted to full time. Meanwhile 3 months after being hired she started a course to get her diploma.<br /><br />After she had completed half of her courses, she became friends with one of the employees in her department. She made the mistake of telling her that she was working on getting her diploma. Well the girl went to Human Resources and told them that she (my wife) falseified her application. (The girl was wanting my wifes full time position) That is when things went bad. Their policy is to terminate anyone who does this.<br /><br />With her being a valuable asset to her department, the supervisors stood up for her and made it possible to keep her job. Punishment for this was probation for a year, wage freeze for a year, 2 weeks suspension without pay, and was given 4 months to finish her high school diploma program. BTW my wife is in her mid 40's. (I'm very proud of her, she is the best wife a man could ask for). She indeed finished the rest of her courses while on the two week suspension.<br /><br />Since her situation with the application in which it was wrote has been changed. Is this admission of a problem on the application of the hospital? It now reads "do you have a high school diploma or equivalent"? <br /><br />I feel my wife has been punished for something that was not her fault. According to her original application since it did not ask specifically for a diploma. <br /><br />Does anyone know if she would have legal ground to stand on if she would pursue a law suit?<br /><br />SS

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Falsification of Application

I would let it ride, Mayfloat.<br /><br />I think your wife got off easy. Even though the application was poorly worded, the intent was there and she understood it. Fortunately she had the chance to show what she could do before it came to a head.<br /><br />I have always objected to academic credentials requirements for jobs. Diplomas and degrees do show that you had an opportunity to learn certain things, but they guarantee nothing, and there are other (some say better) ways to learn anything that you can learn in school.<br /><br />If an employer knows what (s)he wants an employee to do, it is simple enough to find out if an applicant can do it. Paper/parchment requirements are a cop out in my book.

D

DJ

I agree with JB that the "parchment" really means little.<br /><br />However, employers have to have some price of admission. The degree, accomplisment, etc. simply means that one started and had the ability to stick with something.<br /><br />I think there is little doubt about what the employers intentions were, regarding the application.<br /><br />I think I would let it go and continue on.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

SS Mayfloat, Why go after the institution that ultimatly stood up for her. Sure they persued it, yes they peanilized her, But they did go to bat for here and the punishment does not seem all that bad.<br /><br />Does she have grounds, MAYBE. Many a disput has wound upn in court over wording in contracts. But the bad news is if they find for the defendant the recourse would most likley be imediate and severe.<br /><br />I say LET IT RIDE.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

perhaps they will allow her to include a letter<br />of explanation in her personnel file 4 future ref.<br />employer must be able to see their error if they<br />have since changed the application, so i suspect<br />they would be somewhat sympathetic.

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

So what did she get punished for? Telling the truth. I would ask her what she wants to do about it and go from there. As Willie sings, "forgiving is easy, but forgetting takes the longest time".

aspeck

Staff member

Let it go! She knew the intent of the question. She knew the requirements for the job and she worked to get around it. Then she worked to meet those conditions. The company saw that and rewarded her by not terminating her job - which they had every right to do. Be happy she still has a job and move on from there. You will both be better for it and the hospital will soon forget all about this. Drag it through the courts, and they will never forget, no matter how hard they try.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The time to fight it was when it happened.<br />I think she did right, hospital was wrong.<br />I would take the "intent of the question" as to provide the hospital the opportunity to check her records. If they wanted to know if she graduated, they should have asked.<br /><br />But yes, the time has come to let this one sleep.

rogerwa

Commander

While you'ree angry at the hospital response, it really is misguided. The real offender here is the so called friend that turned her in for personal benefit. Unfortunately, this is not illegal, just immoral. <br /><br />If your state is like Minnesota, I don't beleive they need to have any reason to let someone go. It an employment at will state, or something like that. It's my wife thats in HR not me.. The thing the hospital has to cover for are to ensure their actions do create a pattern of discrimination based on age, sex, race, etc..<br /><br />Applications in my experience do not refernce job requirements anyway. They are just a tool to obtain info on a candidate. I would believe you have no standing for any action. I think the company handled your wifes case very fair.

cotterman

Chief Petty Officer

let it ride, she could have been instantly fired.<br /><br />gongrats to her for getting her diploma.

Fly Rod

Commander

I agree with "aspeck" Let it go ! ! ! :) <br />She still has her job.<br />By the way Congrats on your wife getting her diploma.<br />You don't relize how many people are awarded only a few BUCKS when they sue. You only hear of the big settlements which encourage you and I to sue.<br />She still has her job. Go out and celebrate ! ! ! :) :cool:

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Thanks for your replies. There are other issues that really makes me rant. This incident happened a little over a year ago. <br /><br />She works with this one woman that lies, constantly making mistakes, schedules days off 6 months in advance, and takes care of personal business during her working hours.<br /><br />My wife is almost like Gunny Sargent. She believes in doing her job professionally. No excuss accepted for failure. The other 4 employees work well with her. <br /><br />With the trouble between my wife and this other person, she has tried to even transfer. The offer came up, the department she wanted to transfer to really wanted my wife to work for them. Even a $2hr raise in pay. Well her supervisor and department head raved so much over her that she was turned down because she was so much of an asset to her present department. After her probation was over, it took 6 months to put on all the little pay increases that were frozen. Sad thing is she had to hound them daily to get the paper work moving. Finally she got her raise $1.15 where she could have been making more in the other department. Mainly she just wanted to get away from the person that she can't work with.<br /><br />We talked some earlier about what to do. I read the repones earlier, and I must agree that it is over with, let it go.<br /><br />She was given the first shift to work as a benefit of being senior tech. Well, this person that causes trouble, went to the department head a demanded my wife rotate with the rest on the shifts. This person hates to pull the 9 to 5:30 shift. They started the rotation in August, and this person yet has had to work the late shift. Another reason my wife doesn't like her.<br /><br />She is going for RN and has completed her first year of college. She has done so well she made the deans list.<br /><br />When she graduates is when we are going to move south. Thats our plan and we're going to stick it out.<br /><br />Thanks for listening to me rant. I just don't like it when others that don't work, waste time, and just lazy make it rough on the ones that try to achieve the most out of life.<br /><br />SS

SpinnerBait_Nut

SS, hate to bring this up, but would this by any chance be a union job she is at now?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

No SBN, I think if it was, her shop wouldn't be run the way it is. I feel that the department she is in is holding her back from accelling in the medical field. To me that is wrong since RN's are in desperate need.<br /><br />They (her deparment supers) making her rotate the shifts comes in conflict with her school. However she has a few other employees that trade with her on those days she has school. Her supervisors are so proud of her on how well of a grade point average she has, but then refuses to help her accel in her goal to become a nurse. <br /><br />She is hanging in there an doing the best to tollerate the problem person..<br /><br />Thanks....SS

SpinnerBait_Nut

Well SS, having been where she has been and come a long way myself, I can say nothing but a big WELL DONE to her.<br /><br />Tell her to keep on keeping on and it will pay off big time for her in the future.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

That's a tough way for the wife to learn about overly ambitious work mates. There's a word for people like that, starts with a "B" and ends with "itch". I learned the hard way to talk about the weather and little else. Congrats to the little lady for the diploma. :)

aspeck

Staff member

Definitely a big congrats to Mrs. Mayfloat on her achievements. With a work ethic that she appears to have, she will go far. Hope she can hold on through these obstacles she is now facing. Good-luck to her.<br /><br />Remember, the best person is not the one that wins every battle, but the one that keeps their dignity and self-respect through every trial.

plywoody

Senior Chief Petty Officer

She will find difficult to deal with, selfish co-workers wherever she goes, and whatever she does, I am afraid, unless she works for herself. They have been at every workplace I have ever been.<br /><br />Learn to ignore it, and laugh it off. It can eat at a person and life is too short as it is.