Honda BF ignition (?) problems

janekstrom

Recruit
My Honda BF 90 runs unevenly on idle and occasionally looses power for a while at cruising speed. Replaced plugs (one was black) - no help. Could it be spark plug cables.<br />Where can I buy the cables at resonable cost over the internet?

BF130

Seaman
Re: Honda BF ignition (?) problems

One was black!!! That would concern me more than if all were black. The whole inside of the chamber prolly looks like that plug. Likely not the cables. Could be a burnt piston or one about to go. Is your fuel fresh? What was the gap on that burnt plug - same as the others - same as spec?<br /><br />If it were me, I would be calling a dealer on this one rather than continuing to run the motor.

janekstrom

Recruit

One plug was somewhat black, not completely. Gap seemed to be similar than others, didn't though measure it. Fuel should be OK and fuel filter was replaced this spring.

BF130

Seaman

What year and how many hours?<br /><br />Does a compression check result in a different reading per that cyl verses the others?

janekstrom

Recruit

It is year 2000 and about 160 hours. The black stuff on the plug is carbon black, not oily.<br />I have not measured the compression values.

marcfish

Cadet

It always astounds me on how low the hours are on some of these engines. Was the engined used last season?

janekstrom

Recruit

Originally posted by plumber 997:<br /> It always astounds me on how low the hours are on some of these engines. Was the engined used last season?
Yes, the boat is used frequently during the summer, though for short periods (10 - 30 min mostly). I use the boat to get to my cottage on a near by island.