hearing a lot about gummed jets/Honda

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer
So, is there an inherent design flaw on the carb jets with the larger Hondas? I seem to read a lot about them gumming up etc. I own a 2000 with about 500 hrs on it that has never given me any problems in that area. Naturally, I don't want it to either. Is there any preventitive maintenance I can perform to avoid this situation?

kwaf1

Cadet
Re: hearing a lot about gummed jets/Honda

Should be no problem if it is properly winterized and maintained, any carb will gum up if fuel is left in it for long periods.

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

90% of the problems you see on these boards are due to owners not knowing how to properly take care of their outboards. Carb goo is almost always related to owner neglect. The main complaints on any of the repair boards relates to this very issue...regardless of brand.

AG

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, I'm new to owning o/b's... I have a Honda 40 2004. I use it throughout the winter (duck hunting) and some spring and summer action.<br /><br />I have a fuel filter installed and I use new gas as frequently as possible.<br /><br />What's the proper way to "winterize" a honda, say if I weren't going to use the boat for about 90 days or so.<br /><br />Thank you in advance --- sorry to butt in on this thread.