best oil

cddetelich

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1990 175 Johnson with carbs. I have never used anything but name brand 2 cycle oil (OMC, Yamalube, Quicksilver). <br />In my autos I have used pure synthetic after reading all of the advantages, and now I am starting to see 2 cycle oils that are either fully synthetic or a blend. The mechanic who does all of my work swears by the blend for my engine-he does not recommend using the fully synthetic, but he keeps on recommending the blend. I do not buy my oil from him, so he has no monetary reason to make these comments. Anybody have any recommendations?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: best oil

Better get a cuppajoe, cd. You will get many recommendations and lengthy debates.<br /><br />I will start it: The name brand oils are good oils, but half of what you pay for them is marketing and advertising cost. WalMart SuperTech is as good as most of them and a lot less bux.<br /><br />I, too, use synthetic (Mobil 1) in my vehicle. Mercedes requires it, but I would use it anyway.<br /><br />In my 2 stroke carbed outboards I use WalMart SuperTech. You need a fine caliper to tell the difference in performance and engine life compared to any synthetic or blend, but you can tell the difference in cost by the extra weight in your wallet.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Was at the merc dealer and bought some merc oil; TCW III. Said it was Performance (I think) Plus (sure about the plus part)....$21.95 a gallon.<br /><br />Since we all know that merc builds outboards and "specs" oil for someone else to refine and package, I found this commonality (or what appears to be):<br /><br />Picked up a gallon jug of Pennzoil TCWIII and it used the exact wording that merc did about the plus thing but it said it was a synthetic blend. The merc oil said nothing about blend.<br /><br />So I was just wondering is the merc oil really a blend and they just didn't mention it?<br /><br />Additionally, Pennzoil markets a "100% Synthetic" TCW III oil also; and a lower unit 100% synthetic which is currently in my lower unit. <br /><br />Only bad (if it's bad) thing I have heard, is from reading on here, some recommend doing a decarb prior to using synthetic. Why? Beats me. Maybe they'll jump in and tell us. I run syn and usually 100% syn in everything else I own. Have had super results with my lawnmower being they run hot and syn hangs in there to 400 degr F.<br /><br />Mark

BillP

Captain

Yep, these oil messages can be lengthy. If it makes you feel better run synthetic but don't get the idea your motor won't have a long life by not using it. Short life is more sales hype than motor talk. Chances are you won't run or own your ob motor long enough to see the difference.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Agree with Tex on the benefits for aircooled engines. Although I use syn in all my motors, the only ones I can truly see a difference in are the aircooled ones.

BillP

Captain

I saw this a couple years ago on the web...Lockwood Aviation in Sebring did testing on air cooled ultralight engines with several type oils. They ran the engines numerous hours and took them apart to see what happened. In their test the 100% synthetic had more build up than the standard dino oil. Google for it, they have pics and details. Ultralight pilots are sensitive to this topic.

LubeDude

Admiral

HMMMMMMMMMMMM, Im just not in the mood for this today.<br /><br />HO, Hum. :rolleyes:

bootle

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by Bassin' Fever AKA LubeDude:<br /> HMMMMMMMMMMMM, Im just not in the mood for this today.<br /><br />HO, Hum. :rolleyes:
Awww! C'mon LD, "No Fair" this is much more fun than the boring politics we had all winter :( <br /><br />What oil do you use in that RX8?

BillP

Captain

Originally posted by Bassin' Fever AKA LubeDude:<br /> HMMMMMMMMMMMM, Im just not in the mood for this today.<br /><br />HO, Hum. :rolleyes:
Very safe position to take BF/LD. Bring your own pics with the next post. <br /> :D :D <br /><br />Pics are with 280 hrs on Rotax aircooled engines...<br /><br />Blue = Pennsoil 2 cycle air cooled oil low ash<br />Red = Pennzoil 2 cycle multipurpose oil ashless<br />Purple = conventional petroleum 2 cycle oil low ash<br />Yellow = 2 cycle synthetic oil low ash <br /><br /><br />
okr1b5.jpg
<br /><br />
okr2j7.jpg

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Well my air cooled comment was my Scotts lawnmower with a 15 hp Kohler. Had it 5 years mowing 2 acres of lawn and other things. Used syn the whole time.<br /><br />Pulled the spark plug out one day and shone a flashlight down the hole. On the side of the cylinder (wall) I could still see the crosshatch hone marks. I was impressed.<br /><br />On automobiles, I think it was a Mercedes sedan in Italy that they ran for 200,000 miles and tore it down. Showed pics and narrated. Apparently it did good.....but they didn't run 2 cars, the other with "dino" oil so I don't know what that would have looked like.<br /><br />But I agree on the probably will not wear out the current OB motor regardless of what low ash oil I use.<br /><br />Mark

BillP

Captain

Originally posted by Texasmark:<br /> Well my air cooled comment was my Scotts lawnmower with a 15 hp Kohler. Had it 5 years mowing 2 acres of lawn and other things. Used syn the whole time.<br /><br />Pulled the spark plug out one day and shone a flashlight down the hole. On the side of the cylinder (wall) I could still see the crosshatch hone marks. I was impressed.<br /><br />On automobiles, I think it was a Mercedes sedan in Italy that they ran for 200,000 miles and tore it down. Showed pics and narrated. Apparently it did good.....but they didn't run 2 cars, the other with "dino" oil so I don't know what that would have looked like.<br /><br />But I agree on the probably will not wear out the current OB motor regardless of what low ash oil I use.<br /><br />Mark
Just because I post info that challenges conventional wisdom on synthetics don't think I hate the stuff. I was running synthetic in 2 stroke mcys back in the 1970s and still run it in my lawn gear and model airplane engines (castor/syn blend). But, my current 1990 American V8 has 239k miles and still uses less than 1/2 qt between changes with pet oil. It still tows boats on 1000mi trips without a problem. Speaking of Mercedes...the last Consumer Reports Used Car Buying Guide shows the past 10yrs of repair history. The reliabilty verdict is very interesting.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Walmart oil...walmart oil...walmart oil...hip hip hurray!!!!<br /><br />The only difference I could see is slightly less smoke with synthetics...that's it. I sometimes wonder if its worth paying 3 to 4 times of much for that!

LubeDude

Admiral

OK, Ill play now:<br /><br />I have seen the test you are so proud of and the only explination I can give is that every one of those pistons came out of a dfferent engine. Also it does say that it was a "Multipurpose synthetic oil. May have not been the right oil for those engines. I dont know how they were tuned or anything else about them other than what is in the artical. Also the cylinder heads on the two right hand pistons are very carboned up telling me that they wer running quite a bit richer! I find it "VERY" strange that the synthetic piston is showing more deposits with the synthetic because it goes against every other test I have ever seen, including my own showing deposits with synthetics. I can say without reservation that Amsoil would never look like that.<br /><br />In vehicles, cars and trucks, I beleive that synthetics will help combat wear better than conventional oils, they are an overkill though unless you are wanting to change your oil less often or protect a hard working engine as they do stay in grade longer in high heat situations.<br /><br />I use 100% synthetic in about everything that moves around my place, except my Rotary as it really dosent like it. Besides running though it like water, it actually does cause more deposits on the plugs. Now we are talking about a whole different oil injected animal here with 295,000 miles. Its dello 400 15W-40 for it. That reminds me, its due for an oil change.<br /><br />I like the 100% synthetic in my outboard mostly for the less smoking and the clean running, I never decarb anymore. The engine does seem to sound different also but thats here nor there. I have used the WallMart oil before, it was fine, I just dont like the Idea of never really knowing for sure who is making it for them this week or the next. And, no matter what you may say, even though it will meet the TC-W3 designation, It wont be any better than it absolutly has to. There are better reasonably priced outboard oils out there.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

HONEYYYYYYY,,,, <br /><br />I'm gonna need some Popcorn and Beer!

BillP

Captain

Originally posted by Bassin' Fever AKA LubeDude:<br /> OK, Ill play now:<br /><br />I have seen the test you are so proud of and the only explination I can give is that every one of those pistons came out of a dfferent engine. Also it does say that it was a "Multipurpose synthetic oil. May have not been the right oil for those engines. I dont know how they were tuned or anything else about them other than what is in the artical. Also the cylinder heads on the two right hand pistons are very carboned up telling me that they wer running quite a bit richer! I find it "VERY" strange that the synthetic piston is showing more deposits with the synthetic because it goes against every other test I have ever seen, including my own showing deposits with synthetics. I can say without reservation that Amsoil would never look like that.<br /><br />In vehicles, cars and trucks, I beleive that synthetics will help combat wear better than conventional oils, they are an overkill though unless you are wanting to change your oil less often or protect a hard working engine as they do stay in grade longer in high heat situations.<br /><br />I use 100% synthetic in about everything that moves around my place, except my Rotary as it really dosent like it. Besides running though it like water, it actually does cause more deposits on the plugs. Now we are talking about a whole different oil injected animal here with 295,000 miles. Its dello 400 15W-40 for it. That reminds me, its due for an oil change.<br /><br />I like the 100% synthetic in my outboard mostly for the less smoking and the clean running, I never decarb anymore. The engine does seem to sound different also but thats here nor there. I have used the WallMart oil before, it was fine, I just dont like the Idea of never really knowing for sure who is making it for them this week or the next. And, no matter what you may say, even though it will meet the TC-W3 designation, It wont be any better than it absolutly has to. There are better reasonably priced outboard oils out there.
Different engines could definitely make a difference BUT...99.99% of those engines fly with mixtures dialed into exhaust gas temps. Which means there are little differences in mixtures or burn temps. <br /><br />My car at 239k miles (not to mention the others I've had that pushed 200k mi before I sold them...all in perfect running condition) and you at 295k miles on pet oil? The difference between long and short engine life is more about oil changes than pet or syn. Most people never own their cars long enough to experience that part of the equation.

LubeDude

Admiral

I think that you and I are on the same track as far as the necesity of synthetics in an everyday automobile. There are indead some that will benifit from a good synthetic, there are a few sludge monsters out there. You need to do your homework to find out what cars these are. An engine with over 200,000 miles ran its whole life with regular oil will have more deposits inside than if it was run on synthetics, but it wont be enough to cause the engine to run any worse. You are right in that most people dont keep there vehicles as long as we do, as a matter of fact most trade them off before 100,000 miles. Most of todays engines would go that far even if you didnt change the oil at all Not that I recommend it.

budsbud66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sythentic oil definatly breaks down ALOT slower the conventional.. Half the reason i run sythentic is because i rather change my oil every 5kmiles then 3k. and i dont have to worry about the oil losing its viscosity.<br /><br />I will testify that cheap stuff vs amsoil makes a huge difference in a 250cc dirtbike. you will foul 70% less plugs with good oil.. what this means in marine language?? i dont know... but its enough for me to keep running the 20$/per gallon amsoil in everything i own.. Just from that one expierence... <br /><br />No opinion implyed.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by team_starcraft:<br /> Sythentic oil definatly breaks down ALOT slower the conventional.. Half the reason i run sythentic is because i rather change my oil every 5kmiles then 3k. and i dont have to worry about the oil losing its viscosity.<br /><br />
You are waisting oil, I use Amsoil 14W-40 diesel Marine in my Pickup and change it at 10,000. I use a large 2 quart filter so I hold a bit more oil. You can go at least 7,500 with any full synthetic, even the cheaper WalMart wannabe synthetic. Group III. I would even go 5-7,500 with Dello 400 15W-40 but thats just me.

TheOilDoc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1990 175 Johnson with carbs. I have never used anything but name brand 2 cycle oil (OMC, Yamalube, Quicksilver)...Anybody have any recommendations?
Keep doing what you're doing...any TC-W3 that makes you happy. It meets the engine specs, and appears to be working very well for you. I don't see any advantages to using a synthetic in your outboard. They are becoming more popular because the newer engine performance demands them.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Totally disagree Doc. They are becoming popular cause they work. Not in OB's but in everything.<br /><br />Mark