Kicker recommendation

prginocx

Seaman Apprentice
I had a 3.5Hp Suzuki for my trolling motor, but I sold it 'cause it was just too noisy, vibration, and 2 stroke fumes.<br /><br />I'm wondering if there is a better option in the 3-6HP range for me...<br /><br />I like 4 stroke 'cause weight isn't much of an issue, but the 1 cylinder models are also very noisy, even the 4 stroke ones. I checked out a 5 hp Honda yesterday, and it was just as bad as the Suzuki, vibration wise, but without the 2 stroke fumes.<br /><br />I like 2 cylinder 'cause they seem smoother than the 1 cylinder models, but they are higher hp and I really only need 3 or 4 hp.<br /><br />Is there a 4 hp 2 cylinder 4 stroke motor ever made ?<br />Some recommendations ?<br /><br />How about a 2 stroke, 2 cylinder, 4 hp ? Maybe an older model I could refurbish ?<br /><br />What is the solution here ?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Kicker recommendation

Evinrude /Johnson made a 4hp 2 cylinder 2s from about 1980? thru 1993 ?<br /><br />Maybe just go electric, and get 2 batteries to last longer?

ob

Admiral

Johnson makes a 4 and a 6 hp 2 cylinder 4 stroke that is advertised as being quiet and smoothe operating.

ob

Admiral

Sorry Roscoe.We were typing at the same time I guess.

prginocx

Seaman Apprentice

What year range did Johnson make these 2 cylinder 4 stroke motors in the 4 hp range ?<br />That sounds perfect. I like the 4 stroke, but now I've looked at two with Single Cylinder, and they are pretty noisy and vibratory.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't know about a 4 stroke twin cylinder in that range, mate. I thought the smallest 4 stroke twins are in the 8+hp range.<br /><br />Any of the JohnnyRude 3, 3.5 or 4hp 2 stroke twins from the beginning of time (well, let's cut it off at 1964) to present are superb, smooth running kickers. My favorite outboard of all time.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Don't forget that a 2 cylinder 4 stroke only fires once per revolution, so it behaves a lot like a 1 cylinder 2 stroke. Normally (always?) the pistons are brought up in unison rather than alternate like a 2-stroke because of that.

ob

Admiral

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Don't know about a 4 stroke twin cylinder in that range, mate. I thought the smallest 4 stroke twins are in the 8+ hp range.
Jb's right.My bad.Johnsons 4 stroke 2 cylinders start at 8 hp.The 4 and 6 are 1 bangers.<br /><br />Yamaha makes a 6 hp 2 cylinder 4 stroke.

haddles

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Forget the Yamaha 4hp 4 stroke too. It's a single cylinder and noisy as heck at any speed above idle. I always think it feels like it's going to blow up. Very economical and reliable though. <br />My Johnson 5hp single 2 stroke is far smoother and quieter at higher revs. I'd recommend it if it wasn't for the 2 stroke fumes and weak shear pins.<br />How about the Yamaha 2 stroke 6hp. It's a twin and I think it runs on 100:1 oil mix so very little fumes. Has through prop exhaust and even comes with an alternator.