Mercury 2 stoke outboards reliable??? 2003 V-6 150hp oil injected non Optimax

coach_jesse

Cadet
I'm looking at a 1976 Mako in good cond. with 2003 V-6 150 Saltwater 2 stroke with trailor for $8,000. It isn't the Optimanx. The boat rode well doing 30 @ 3500 and almost 45 at WOT around 5200 or so. Motor seemed in perfect cond. Boats for sale like this locally are not too common. Besides hot telltale which seemed norm. I could hold my hand there for about 3-5 seconds with out getting scorched. My mechanic returned my call and recomended not getting a Merc 2 stroke. He didn't say exactly why but he made them sound undependable in salty tropical waters with high corosion. I respect him as a mechanic. He's always been honest and done good work on my Yamaha. But he also doesn't work on Merc's. He stated that he didn't know any Merc mechanics that he would recomend here on Oahu. This list is probably bias towards Merc's but I guess I'm looking for some opinions either way. Any one know any good Merc mechanics in Oahu?

D

DJ

Re: Mercury 2 stoke outboards reliable??? 2003 V-6 150hp oil injected non Optim

Re: Mercury 2 stoke outboards reliable??? 2003 V-6 150hp oil injected non Optim

Merc has two versions of many motors. Some are listed as "Saltwater". <br /><br />However, that would NOT stop me from buying that one. If it is religiously flushed, it should live just fine. Also pay attention to other linkages, etc.<br /><br />Buying a carb'd two stroke is a luxury that is quickly disappearing. That engine offers an ease of maintenance that DFI's and four strokes can't offer. You WILL pay dearly for fuel though.<br /><br />By the way, that engine is overpropped running at 5200 at wide open throttle. That needs to be addressed immediately, if you buy it. Plus, I would decarb. it. See "decarb", in FAQ's.