No stupid questions just stupid people

ferrariman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have seen a lot of boats wiht two flaps mounted on the transom one on each side of the motor that appear to be ajustable and sit in the water . I am a noobie to the marine community and i wonder if somone could explain what they are and what they are used for. THnx :)

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: No stupid questions just stupid people

Those are trim tabs, There a few different types around, fixed , hydraulic, automatic, etc... they help with getting the boat onto the plane faster and remove some other nasty habits some boats can suffer from.<br /><br />The other sort are "wings" that get bolted onto the cavitation plate of the engine.

JRJ

Commander

Trim tabs are used to keep the boat on an even keel :cool:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

When you are out for a drive, stick you hand out the window, hold you fingers together and point them forward and then raise them slightly. You will notice your entire fore arm tends to lift. Thats what trim tabs do. They raise the stern of the boat making getting on-plane quicker and providing the ability to stay on-plane at slower speeds. Go to the Nauticus web site and look at their product description. Their product is called "Smart Tabs" and are the best bang for the buck when it comes to performance enhancements.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

When you are out for a drive, stick you hand out the window, hold you fingers together and point them forward and then raise them slightly. You will notice your entire fore arm tends to lift. Thats what trim tabs do. They raise the stern of the boat making getting on-plane quicker and providing the ability to stay on-plane at slower speeds.
Upinsmoke - Excellent description. I never thought of it that way.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

And asking questions about a new type of recreation to you, does NOT make you stupid ferrariman.....it's the SMART thing to do.

walleyehed

Admiral

And check out that avitar...now I know he's a good dude with a mean Rude.. :D