Good operating RPM

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer
Hello,<br /><br />I am a very new boater and I am trying to gain a better understanding of engine RPM and the effect on motor wear. I believe, based on what I have read, that excessive idling causes carbon buildup and can also cause plug fouling. I have also read that running at WOT can cause excessive engine wear. What I do not know is the lower RPM limit around which the engine is considered to be within its normal operating range. For example, if I want to "go fast", I operate at roughly 3/4 throttle, adjusting it a little either way until the engine "purrs" nicely. What I do not know is what RPM is safe and proper for slow speed cruising. My engine is an 72 Merc 650, if that is relevant.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />E

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Good operating RPM

Every manufacturer specifies a WOT (wide open throttle) RPM range for their engines. Although it varies by engine size, that range is usually specified as 5000 - 5500 RPM, or 4500 - 5500 RPM, or 5500 - 5750 RPM etc. You understanding of engine operation is basically right and basically wrong. The key to engine longevity is to make sure it is supplied with fresh fuel, quality oils, the lower unit is checked frequently for water intrusion, the water pump impeller is replaced regularly and the proper seasonal storage/layout procedures are followed, etc. Then, the next issue is to make sure that with a normal load, when operating at WOT the engine RPM is in that recommended WOT range. In fact it is best for the engine if it is at the top end of that range. Two-strokes simply do not like to be lugged. The key to achieving that RPM is in proper propeller pitch selection. Too little pitch and the engine over-revs. To much pitch and the engine lugs. Obviously the engine has a throttle so it is ok to cruise at lesser settings for best fuel economy. You are correct that prolonged idling can cause a motor to load up so its good to open it up frequently. It's designed to run wide open. I'll bet that engine does not die because of wear-out. I'll bet it dies because of failure to replace an impeller (overheating), lack of carb cleaning (lean carburetion causing a melt down), or lack of proper lubrication (internal pieces finding their way outside the engine). As someone else on this form so aptly puts it: "outboards don't wear out -- people kill them" (or words to that effect).

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

OK, I understand now - propping is done with regards to WOT, and after that the engine is safe to operate through a respectable throttle range.<br /><br />My engine will probably die from corrosion, down here in South Florida.<br /><br />Thanks for your time,<br />-E

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Years ago I saw charts on efficiency with Johnny's or Rudes; hanging on the wall in the dealership; don't remember which. Twas in the days after OMC developed the looper; showed the difference in loopers vs non loopers but also pointed out the difference between wot efficiency and efficiency at other rpm's. It essentially showed that the best range was like 3/4 throttle.<br /><br />On the boat, the best place is just up on a good plane where the wake meets like 15 to 20 ft behind the boat...that's what I have read for conventional hulls with no built in lifting mechanism; course a padded boat, or one with lifting strakes, would (should, does) do best hooked up so you can take advantage of the reduced wetted area afforded by the design.<br /><br />You can also trim out and in and see what trim position gives you the fastest speed for the particular throttle setting you have. Amazing what happens to efficiency (speed for a particular throttle setting) when you get the nose up and outta da watta....course you can't do that at low speed. Gotta have enough push to take advantage of the bow lift.<br /><br />my 2c<br />Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Tim. Nice to get a compliment....usually get smacked for stupidity. Grin.<br /><br />Mark

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks TX, your response was interesting because 75% throttle is where the engine sounds the best to me.