Battery Charger/Starter: Substitute For Dual Batteries

Hawaiian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Something on my Christmas list is an Engine Starter/Battery Charger. I plan to use it for a number of things including putting it in the console of my 19 foot Boston Whaler (w/4 stroke motor) when I go boating. <br /><br />Is this a good alternative to having dual batteries? I only run a VHF, fuel flow meter and GPS while boating, and feel I don't need two batteries. The unit I am looking at weighs less than 9-lbs and has lots of amps for starting. Any comments will be appreciated.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Battery Charger/Starter: Substitute For Dual Batteries

I would go with the extra battery. The charger starter is made for that purpose not a substitute battery. Those small cells have got to have a charge cycle limit plus a time/ current draw limit. Plus the hassel of constant recharging with a/c current. How many cycles do you get with battery powered drill/saws? regards fred.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

And the thing takes up nearly as much space as another battery. Install a "real" battery and forget the tinker toys.

Dunaruna

Admiral

If the motor is able to be pull started, consider a 'carry on' batt for emergencies and little jobs.<br /><br />I like them, my 400amp projecta runs a spotlight and a CD player for 6 to 8 hours and still has enough juice to crank if needed (never needed to so far). <br /><br />Easy to carry and charge, has a flashing emergency beacon and 2 cig lighter sockets built in.<br /><br />If you don't have the accessories to warrant a second dedicated batt, the 'carry on' batt is a reasonable choice.

phatmanmike

Captain

Originally posted by Upinsmoke:<br /> And the thing takes up nearly as much space as another battery. Install a "real" battery and forget the tinker toys.
what he said