Thoughts / Experiences with a Force

noshelter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi everyone, I'm looking at a used, 18 foot Maxum suited with a 1990 120HP OB Force engine. Just wondering what your thoughts are, very general of course. The sales pitch sounds good, he mentioned this...<br /><br />==========================<br /><br />Force/Chrysler doesn't have a great name - particularly before the Merc<br />take-over. These engines suffered from a chronic piston failure issue<br />(so I'm told). It was rebuilt in '97 by Allouette Marine a year before<br />we bought it. The (certified) mechanic had a good explanation for the<br />failure and ensured me that the aftermarket pistons installed rectified<br />the problem (oil accumulation beneath/behind the rings causing them to<br />stick an in some cases crack...). I made sure to get the paper work <br />for<br />this job when I bought it. Frankly, I wasn't interested in the boat<br />until I did talk to the mechanic.<br /><br />=========================<br /><br />I'm familiar with this mechanic, and I know he would be telling the truth, but what I'm more curious about is the engine itself. What are your experiences with this engine, this model, this year, etc. Good and bad reports would be greatly appreciated. I'm really interested in the boat, but only after I'm sure about the engine. Thanks everyone.<br /><br /><br />SSS

rosco_59

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Thoughts / Experiences with a Force

I do not have a 120hp force but I do own an 85hp force and have not had any problems with it. I feel it is like anything else, if it is taken care of then it will be good to you.

tweeder

Cadet

I purchased a 1989 125 force the end of last season. The boat and motor had been sitting for a number of years, so I knew there was going to need to be work done to it. I did end up investing a lot of money into the engine, but a lot of that had to do with labor. I’m not the most mechanically apt individual, but I have learned that these outboards tend to be very basic, which means you can do a lot of the work yourself. Once I had all of the major issues dealt with by a mechanic, I started doing my own work. I’ve heard of force motors clocking over 2000 hours or more, but you have to take care of them. The only problem that I’ve had is finding parts, but going to mercruiserparts.com has taken care of a lot of the frustration. I’ve had people tell me that I should considering repowering, but the way I see it is that I now have an outboard that I’m comfortable working on myself, and that will save me tons of money.

noshelter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys, Tweeder, I know what you mean by basic. Right now I have a 35hp Johnson and I've done some of the work myself. Replacing parts, etc. Its usually just a matter of diagnosing the problem, and going from there. Anyone else with any advice towards these motors? I know they're not in the same class as a Yammie or Evinrude, but it's a pretty good deal for the boat and I'd hate to pass on it if the engine does work as well as the seller says. Here's the ad...<br /><br />18’ MAXUM 1800 XR, 1990, 120hp Force O/B, runs great, ski, Fish, Explore, custom pilon, rod holders, down riggers, kicker bracket, depth sounder & more $5500. obo.<br /><br />I emailed the seller and inquired about the engine, this is what he said about it...<br /><br />Force/Chrysler doesn't have a great name - particularly before the Merc<br />take-over. These engines suffered from a chronic piston failure issue<br />(so I'm told). It was rebuilt in '97 by Allouette Marine a year before<br />we bought it. The (certified) mechanic had a good explanation for the<br />failure and ensured me that the aftermarket pistons installed rectified<br />the problem (oil accumulation beneath/behind the rings causing them to<br />stick an in some cases crack...). I made sure to get the paper work <br />for<br />this job when I bought it. Frankly, I wasn't interested in the boat<br />until I did talk to the mechanic.<br /><br />Since we have bought it, we have had great experience with the boat and<br />engine. We use it a lot.<br /><br /><br />SSS

jastacey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've owned a Force motor (85 HP) and realy never had any problem with it, just keep up the maintaince, and run the best oil you can get your hand on and decarbon it every year.

noshelter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sweet, thanks guys, think I'm gonna go with it.<br /><br /><br />SSS

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

the oil problem was from type of oil ran in your motor the problem (oil accumulation beneath/behind the rings causing them to<br />stick an in some cases crack...). a tcw 3 made by omc or merk will not do this but cheep oil like walmart oil,other cheep oil,will build up in ring's it the type of oil used will do, it's how it's made omc,merk,yamaha,and cen-pe-co have tcw3 in making them,in the tested motor's the test unit ran engine's till they were shot then tore them down, the four listed didn't plug up the test was in 2002 so other maker's could have fixed some problem's just look for tcw 3 on can <br /><br />the type of oil mater's

springhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have the mechanic do a compression test with you there, make sure all 4 cylinders are around the same and look up in a manual what they are supposed to be at.<br />Have him drain the gear oil after you ran the motor for a while and see if there is any water in the oil.<br />aLSO see if it starts up like summer-time after the motor has reached operating temperture.<br /><br />good luck

noshelter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys, great advice and suggestions. If I do go with this engine, I will definitely go with the best oil possible. What is the best type of oil for this engine? What other tips or suggestions can you add? I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the boat, and want to maintain it as best as I can. Thanks,<br /><br />Gator, what else can you tell me about the oil, anything that you haven't mentioned yet? Thanks again,<br /><br /><br />SSS

rosco_59

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have used quicksilver oil on mine with no problems. I am thinking of going to synthetic cause I hear it has less or no ash and not as much smoke.

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok here <br />I was going to get in to what the oil is made of but that is sort of boring so I did the short version of why stuff fails from using wrong oil <br />synthetic are good there are mixed oil now Para-synthetic's now I got tyranny fluid like that it mix reg&synthetic the bronco run's great on it the only problem I had is rear seal on rear end of it's gear lube I had a friend not do his job like run me home each month we had deal he stuck me big time he didn't do his job I said he not needed. better than firing him, I didn't want to put that many mile's or time driving back and forth he just was stubborn and couldn't see the grass cause it was green.<br /><br />I used MS word

jastacey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If youdo a search on outboard oils on this Iboat website and read most of the threads, you WILL know more about TCW-3 oil that you care to know about .... but you will have most info on what to buy as to oil purchases

noshelter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gatorred, your posts have to be the most difficult to read and understand. I have to copy and paste it in notepad, then go back and edit it, so I can make sense of it. Lol. Thanks for your help though bud. What type of oil would you recommend for this engine then? A synthetic or para-synthetic? Anyone else? Thanks again,<br /><br /><br />SSS

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

the type of oil has tcw 3 in it's made cen-pe-co I use what they make it’s all parathion base de waxed the 15-40 or 10-30 oil my bronco don’t like it when it get cold be low 20 I dump I quart with 4 quarts 10-30 normal oil for winter <br />Make sure it not new car either brake it in first before running it, I had a guy tell me made his Tran fluid to slippery it didn’t move when first tried it <br />did use ms word<br />added<br />I have both 2 and 4 stroke johnson,evenrude 9.9,150 hp and 9.8,50,80 hp merk,outboard's and 120 inboard mercruiser cabin boat

noshelter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey guys, I just want to clarify that this is a 2-stroke I'm referring to. Anything else to add? Thanks,<br /><br /><br />SSS

CARDNUT1975

Recruit

I'M TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT YEAR MY FORCE MOTOR IS? IT'S SERIAL# OE177686 AND ALSO, WHAT TO DO ABOUT A PRETTY BAD SKIP.. I've changed fuel, fuel filter, sparkplugs,and spark plug wires. Still cant seem to figure it out... PLEASE HELP....CARDNUT1975

CARDNUT1975

Recruit

By the way, it's a force 75 somewhere around 1995 or 1996. can't figure out what year exactly.. thanks

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Cardnut please start a new topic instead of adding a question on someone elses thread. You will get more responses and better information then when it is in this thread.

noshelter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Euro, anyone else have advice, thoughts, suggestions on maintenance towards this engine? Thanks everyone.<br /><br /><br />SSS

Kajun37

Petty Officer 1st Class

my advice...lowball him..and let him know..that YOU know that forces have a bad rep and hard to get parts for...if he doesnt want to go for your lowball..walk away, there are plenty of used boats for sale.......i really wish that someone would have told me what i told you lol