Charging problems

Miggy

Recruit
Have a 1994 Capri 18ft. with a 120 hp Force.One of the pistons was stuck in the cylinder.Removed cylinder head to free up the piston.got it lose.Cranked the motor over to make sure all pistons were working freely.Reassemled everything and motor runs fine but I did notice that I am not charging the battery.Thought it was my gauge but I put a meter to it and just shows the battery voltage.It was charging before I did any work to it.Any ways or tips to solve problem.Thanks.

Matthew A.

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Charging problems

Go to www.outboardmotorparts.com and view their troubleshooting Force electronics pages. Very helpful information. Check voltage with motor running at the battery. If you get readings above what the battery voltage is with the motor off, chances are it's the battery that is faulty and not holding charge. Force charging circuits are extremely basic in most models. Make sure your battery is NOT a "maintenance free" type. Same with "gel" cell battery's also. Maintenance free battery's cannot tolerate voltages above 15 volts which causes them to boil off electrolite that cannot be replaced due to lack of access to the battery's individual cells.

Miggy

Recruit

Originally posted by Matthew A.:<br /> Go to www.outboardmotorparts.com and view their troubleshooting Force electronics pages. Very helpful information. Check voltage with motor running at the battery. If you get readings above what the battery voltage is with the motor off, chances are it's the battery that is faulty and not holding charge. Force charging circuits are extremely basic in most models. Make sure your battery is NOT a "maintenance free" type. Same with "gel" cell battery's also. Maintenance free battery's cannot tolerate voltages above 15 volts which causes them to boil off electrolite that cannot be replaced due to lack of access to the battery's individual cells.

Miggy

Recruit

It's not a maintenance free battery.I even have a second battery.Tryed that and same voltage readings.Even used a meter.How would I check my charging system.Like stator ,regulator ect...Thanks for the info.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Does the tach work?<br />Does the motor run at low rpm, and also at high rpm, above 3500rpm?<br /><br />Often times it stops working, indicating the rectifier/regulator is shot.<br /><br />If your motor is also a 1994, then it has the Thunderbolt ignition.<br /><br />Resistance ohms on your stator should be 0.6-1.1 ohms.<br /><br />If you are having trouble getting to the higher rpm, stator needs to be checked.<br /><br />I think a Clymer repair manual is needed to do much more testing.