Johnrude Electronics VS Japanese Electronics

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm just going on a gut feeling here but are the Johnrude outboard electronics less reliable than Japanese outboard electronics? I had an Evinrude 9.9 and had to replace the powerpack already. Didn't really use the motor much at all either. I have yet to replace any powerpacks or cdis on my Japanese outboards. I also read of alot more electrical issues on the Johnyrude forums whereas on the Japanese outboard forums there aren't that many. Is it because there are simply more older American motors than Japanese or are the electronics more prone to failer/malfunction. I ask because I'm considering the purchase of an early 90's Johnson 70 and don't want to have to worry about electrics going bad on me while on the water. Just a concern of mine. Anyone have any thoughts or observations? Is this an unfounded concern? Thanks.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnrude Electronics VS Japanese Electronics

its cause prestolite and motorola and OMC and bruswick have yet to make reliable outboard ignition systems.<br /> I could walk away with all the bad stators,coils and CDI's from both yamaha and suzuki I have replaced in a grocery bag, would take a couple pickem up trucks to move the same bad parts from OMC and brunswick.<br /> its also why you dont see any dealers for jap stuff with CDI's and coils in stock but go to any merc or OMC/BRP dealer and they have a few of each.

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

So should I shy away from this Johnson 70? Its an early 90s motor. 1992 I think. Actually its being sold with a rib. I don't want an unreliable motor as I'll be going up to 26 miles offshore. I have a 50 hp Tohatsu and I haven't been let down once.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

beats me. none of them are made by maytag.<br /> its what keeps my horse in hay and my cats fed.<br /> the 70 johnsonrude was a very reliable motor. I would not leave site of land in a boat myself :) :) . did not like it in a destroyer either.

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm always in sight of land. I go offshore to the channel islands so usually in sight of some land. Still don't want to be stuck at the islands or call for a tow. Is there anything that can be done to make the Johnson 70 electrics as reliable as say my Tohatsu or is that asking too much? I think my gut is saying,"stay away".... :) <br /><br />Thanks once again for your insight Rodbolt.<br />I think you've answered it quite clearly for me.

phantoms

Petty Officer 1st Class

Purchase spares and keep them onboard. You could probably find a couple powerpacks from some broken motors to keep as spares.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I would not worry about it, breakdowns happen with them all. if the price is right go for it, if your nervous put new stuff on it before the old stuff breaks.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Um huh. No point carring sparers unless you have the tools & wherewithall to install them. Can't really see pulling the flywheel for a stator replacement 26m out.<br />Out of sight of land? That usually means about 30' off shore around here. :) Thank God for GPS and the bell bouys. :D

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm kinda liking the Japanese motors really. I keep hearing guys mention breaking down and when I look at their motors its usually OMC. Guys I know with Yamahas and Hondas generally don't complain of getting stuck by their motors. Coincidence? Maybe. But I do see a correlation of broke down stories and OMC. Don't know about Merc.<br /><br />And personally having a powerpack blow on my only Evinrude (with low hours) says volumes to me.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

The Japanese produce superior products at every level. Look at their cars! You can't compare a Toyota or Honda to a GM, Chrysler, or Ford. The biggest nightmare you can have with a older North American car is when the electronic sensors go bad. Thousands of freaken $$$ later you still haven't gotten to the bottom of the problem! I think the only reason people still buy our darn stuff is because it costs less to buy PERIOD.<br /><br />That being said, all my boat engines are American made and have been very reliable ...but if my engine quits on our lake, I have two other boats to go get it towed back to camp! (That's two Evinrude 15's and one 3.0 OMC)<br /><br />If I would be buying today, Honda and Yamaha would be my top choices leaning towards Honda. I already have two Honda products, an older Honda 300 ATV and a newer Honda Civic. These are two classic Honda products that have been top rate for years and years since their inception.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Some of the aftermarket parts are better than OEM. RAPAIR electronics seem to be one of those. I have used many of their electronics parts and have had real good success with them. I still run my 50hp Johnny that I rebuilt probably 8 years ago. Electronics (power pack), OEM, hasn't failed me yet. And the engine does get run regularly in the boating season.

phatmanmike

Captain

this is a quote from my response to your other post, in the johnny rude forum.....go figure
im not sure whatto tell you. they all break<br /><br />just cause you had a omc motor once that had a problem with it, doesnt mean that all omc's are bad.<br /><br />if that was true, nobody would own anything but tohatsu's

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Myoutboards,<br /><br />I'm not stating that my Tohatsu is superior but rather implying maybe Japanese electronics are less prone to failure. I have several Japanese outboards and not one had electrical issues but my one American Evinrude 9.9.<br /><br />Isn't the trend that everyone is buying Japanese over whats left of the American outboard mfgs?

D

DJ

One has to realize that OMC's, Merc's have been in the market one heck of allot longer that some of the others and at dizzying quantities compared to others.<br /><br />It's not fair to compare a 1984 OMC to a 1999 product by another make. But, that's what people do, make judgements on sometimes flawed perceptions.<br /><br />I can biotch about a Honda and a Suzuki that I own and have owned too. I will never own another of either.<br /><br />
The Japanese produce superior products at every level. Look at their cars! You can't compare a Toyota or Honda to a GM, Chrysler, or Ford. The biggest nightmare you can have with a older North American car is when the electronic sensors go bad. Thousands of freaken $$$ later you still haven't gotten to the bottom of the problem! I think the only reason people still buy our darn stuff is because it costs less to buy PERIOD.<br />
I do not agree, having worked in a Toyota and combined Domestic brands dealership.<br /><br />The real difference is that owners of so called "domestic" cars will seek out any parts changer they can find.<br /><br />So called "foreign" owners almost always return for qualified dealer service. The chances of a fix it right the first time are much greater. And yes, they DO fail.<br /><br />The warranty cost per vehicle, between the brands is almost exactly the same. The costs on some "perceived" high quality makes would surprise you.<br /><br />Frankly, I'm sick and tired of America bashing. By doing so, we're just declaring <br />ourselves, wrongly so, that we are second rate.

phantoms

Petty Officer 1st Class

DJ, I think you're right on the money. I work on all makes of cars, and the foreign cars have the same number of electrical problems (sometimes more) as the American cars when comparing the same years. As for OMC, my 89 Johnson 100 has been very reliable. I imagine if I had a 89 Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha it'd be about the same, only the parts would be much harder to find and more expensive when I found them. Newer motors are more evenly divided between American and Foreign and the parts availability is probably much better. <br /><br />Paul, the comment I made about carrying spares was that if you're that worried, then carry them. A powerpack can be changed out quickly just as relays can. But as pointed out, some parts aren't easily changed out on the water. But if you're going off shore, you should definitely carry a good variety of tools and now how to diagnose and fix the majority of problems you may encounter.<br /><br />Last but not least, newer engines in cars are not dependent on the make as to if it's an American design or Foreign design. Toyota, GM, Saturn, Izusu all share tech. just as most other makes do.

phatmanmike

Captain

boatster, you may not be aware of my history here at iboats, but i just may be one of thee, if not thee, biggest advocate of tohatsu / nissan outboards. i have owned many of them and find them to be far superior to the american motors in almost every way. id buy another in a heartbeat if i could afford one right now.<br /><br />i love omc and mercs. i have 13 outboards right now, and not one, at least currently, is from any other soil than our own!<br /><br />but i sure do miss my to-what-sue!<br /><br />ps, dj, untill we stop making second rate products, we will be what we will be . sorry.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Lets play "How Many Times Have You Been Stranded By an Electronic Failure and By What Brand(s)?"<br /><br />For me:<br /><br />Two Chrysler's and One Evinrude...All before 1985.<br /><br />Since 85 I have only used Jap engines and have always made it back.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry but I just don't see the American cars (outside of their trucks) designed to last as long as their Japanese counterparts. Check out the resale value figures on an American car vs a Japanese one. A three year old American car will sell for half it's initial sticker price whereas a 4 year old Japanese will sell for half it's sticker price.<br /><br />The Americans are getting better at their game. They had to amalgamate with the Japanese to do so!<br /><br />...and still the American car makers are closing plants and suffering in sales. Their idiotic "disposable" mentality is something that will follow them around for a very long time. It's like they designed their cars to fall apart once they hit 160,000 kms(100,000 miles) while their Japanese counterparts can and do go twice that far. <br /><br />In all fairness I love my little 2 stroke Evinrudes and think they are up to snuff against any Japanese motor. However, there just isn't anything high tech in these motors to begin with unlike the newer stuff being produced today...especially in the larger outboards.

phantoms

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Paul Moir:<br /> Um huh. No point carring sparers unless you have the tools & wherewithall to install them. Can't really see pulling the flywheel for a stator replacement 26m out.
Paul, you must of jinxed me. :D <br />I ran my battery to low to start the motor this evening. I think it's getting weak, but will have to wait until tomorrow to check it out. I had to resort to the old rope manual start to get my motor started so that I could come in. I thought of this post right then. <br /><br />Anyway, in your post (quoted above), the stator could wait until you return to shore. If you remember that you can rope start a Johnson (or merc for that matter), a stator would not result in a tow. Not sure if newer EFI motors allow this, but they mostly use modern electronics (usually outsorced from the same manufacturers).

D

DJ

Sorry but I just don't see the American cars (outside of their trucks) designed to last as long as their Japanese counterparts. Check out the resale value figures on an American car vs a Japanese one. A three year old American car will sell for half it's initial sticker price whereas a 4 year old Japanese will sell for half it's sticker price.<br /><br />The Americans are getting better at their game. They had to amalgamate with the Japanese to do so!<br /><br />...and still the American car makers are closing plants and suffering in sales. Their idiotic "disposable" mentality is something that will follow them around for a very long time. It's like they designed their cars to fall apart once they hit 160,000 kms(100,000 miles) while their Japanese counterparts can and do go twice that far.
"Disposal mentality". What's that? One would think that ALL makers have that philosophy. To a point, it's in their best interest.<br /><br />Again, perception. Used car values really have VERY LITTLE to do with the actual quality of the vehicle. Used car values are based on PERCEPTION.<br /><br />Domestic also suffer in the used vehicle values because domestics are heavy into fleet sales, which very few foreign brands are. Fleet vehicles tend to be stripped down and pretty well beaten, during their service lives. Plus, there are so many of them being turned at once. It's supply and demand.<br /><br />As an example, one of the best buys on todays used vehicle market is the Ford Taurus, closely followed by Malibu and Impala. This as reported by auto industry-non biased-publications. The quality is high, yet mass quantities of them are being turned now (rental returns-nicely equipped-NOT typical fleet units) and they can be had for less than $12K for a two year old unit with less than 20K miles. <br /><br />If you watch the auto industry, the domestics are getting out of the rental business. Why? Because it artificially devalues the used car prices. The imports are picking up the slack, the same fate (devaluation) is starting to affect them.<br /><br />Again, it's all perception. The only difference today between domestics and foreign is the object between the steering wheel and the seat. ;)