Evinrude cooling water question.

deerhound

Petty Officer 1st Class
Please can someone advise me on the following? Should the engine pump out cooling water as soon as it is fired up? I ran my Evinrude 40hp BE40ELCR yesterday and noted several seconds say 10/15 before water appeared and as before was pumping strong,I then noticed that the bucket containing the cooling water level was only just up to the top hole ie; where water enters leg, I stopped engine to fill bucket, blew down coolant pipe (bubbles in water) but was surprised when I couldn't suck water up coolant pipe! why was that? Is there some kind of thermostat in there to let temp come up before pumping straight away?thanks again J.B.D.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude cooling water question.

It can take that long for the pump to prime and water to appear at the tell-tail. The fact that you could "blow" air through the tell-tale but not draw water up is because you simply do not have enough sucking power to pull water up that high, through the engine and out the tell-tale. Yes there is a thermostat but it does not block water flow through the tell-tale.

deerhound

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great stuff Upinsmoke, when it fired up I went to back and when no water was seen I switched it off, checked water level in bucket topped it up full and next time it was OK! I meant to ask this question also what is your opinion on spraying WD40 on complete engine starter motor etc; J.B.D.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

My 40 takes up to 5-10 seconds to pump water on the muffs or on the water. Probably seems longer when you are worried about something gone wrong.

TxShorty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've found that wd-40 can cause pre-mature wire insulation failure, and that wd-40 is a major collector of dust...<br /><br />Use a product called 'Corrosion-X' instead. Expensive, but well worth it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I'm a fresh water only guy so I prefer to simply keep my engines clean by wiping them down frequently. Anything you spray on the engine will be a dirt & grim collector but engines that live in salt water may very well benefit from being sprayed with a protectant. The recommendation as to what's best will have to come from some else.

deerhound

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, I know from car trade some of the major break down people mention WD40 as being more of a problem than a benefit,I wondered about a product called Finnigans Waxoyl which is a Anti-rust wax but it might burn off the powerhead, I think it would be OK around say the inside lower cover area? I tend to spray WD40 on a cloth and just wipe over it missing out the wiring. thanks again Upinsmoke.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I been running in salt for 35 years. I buy WD 40 by the gallon and use a spray bottle. It does collect dust/dirt but far less than the heavier products.