Force dies while engaging.

milkman_i69

Recruit
This is my first message so please bear with me. But im haveing terrible problems. <br />1990 force 120 outboard. model 1208x90b ser 017684<br />I just purchased my boat, and the engine is having problems in low idle. When i have the motor attached to the hose I have no problem with idle or engaging into gear. when I have it launched, the engine will die almost immedietly when engaged into gear. I will have to throttle it open and quickly into gear and high throttle to get going. Once in WOT it runs great. Ill cut it back and once in idle for over thirty seconds usually it will die again engaging into gear. It also seems to smoke ALOT! I have a quicksilver AutoBlend II, but i dont have any info on it to maybe adjust the oil mix. Ive taken it to the shop and they claim it runs good. But the mechanic says he cannot get the idle right, which really upsets me. Ive given up on the mechanics and am really trying to get this solved. I need some seriouse advice and places to start with please.

lpm51

Cadet
Re: Force dies while engaging.

Have the same setup, and the same problem. I am using Quicksilver gas treatment, and it seems better. I also noticed the white smoke when the fuel was low in the tank. I think some water maybe in the tank. I am checking the UL18V Champion plugs this week.

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oil mix should be 50:1. No adjusting necessary.<br />Check the easy stuff first. First things first get a repair manual before you get started. Do a compression check. If your compression is low, there is no point in throwing money into useless repairs.<br /><br />Are all your gas lines and tank connectors tight and not leaking air into the system? Replace the fuel pump diaphram. Carbs may need to be rebuilt. I'd start with the compression check before you go any further.

ljshein

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree with red_neck_cpa. I have an 84 - 125 and had a very similar issue.<br /><br />Do spark and compression checks first to rule out any serious issues.<br /><br />Then you're probably looking at fuel lines, fuel pump and carb rebuild / adjustment. None of it is difficult but you MUST have a manual.<br /><br />Jeff

lpm51

Cadet

Manuel describes the compression on the cylinders is different from cylinder to cylinder. I purchased a Clymer's manual and learned a heck of alot.

johnmd

Cadet

I had a similar problem right before my stator died. My Force 120 would run fine at high speed but would die when I first tried to put it in gear. Then it would not fire at all. The problem was the stator. It finely died completely.

timmers

Cadet

where did you get the Clymer, i need one for a 2000...50hp/
Thank You,
Tim

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a simple idle screw adjustment. It's located on the towershaft you can't miss it. The towershaft is very long and the idle screw is located on the lower half of the towershaft. Loosen the nut and screw the screw in clockwise until you're able to shift into gear without the engine dying. This adjustment has to be done in the water. There's no guarantee that if it's adjusted on land that it will work on the water. Usually it doesn't work. Easy.

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

i agree with above check idle speed rpms and increase if low. a low idle then shifting into gear(load) = die.

foodfisher

Captain

My "smoke alot" problem was fixed by cleaning the fuel recirculation system.