Johnson 35 HP Super Seahorse year

Jake362

Cadet
Hello, I recently obtained a Johnson 35 HP Super Seahorse outboard and was wondering what year it was. I think the model number is RDSL-20. It was very hard to read the model number, but I'm pretty sure this number is correct. THANKS

Jake362

Cadet
Re: Johnson 35 HP Super Seahorse year

Thanks for the quick reply, but the motor from the page you sent me only slightly resembles the picture provided. It does have a gold band around its cowl, but is lower on the cowl and the shape of it it totally different. Maybe I read the number on it wrong, but I am almost positive that it's the correct one. Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

In 47 years the chances are very good that it no longer has the original bonnet (cowl).<br /><br />If the model number is correct, and is riveted to the mounting clamp, Paul is correct.<br /><br />Fuel mix is 24:1, plugs are Champion J4C gapped at .030" and points are set at .020".<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Paul Moir

Admiral

JB's right, we get cowl swaps all the time here. Have a look at other years of Johnsons over at www.old-omc.de and see if you can find yours.<br />If the transom clamp doesn't appear to be replaced, then that's probably what happened. If you want to be sure, compare the serial number on the transom clamp nameplate to the serial number on the welsh plug in the engine near the spark plug end of the block.<br />What is your cowl made of? Fiberglass & metal or all metal?

Jake362

Cadet

It appears the cowl is made of fiberglass. I can not be to sure if the model number reads RDSL-20 or RDSL 20. I took a closer look and there might not be a dash between the L and 2, but I can not be positive. Does that make a difference? I was able to lift a serial number by using a thin coat of paint. The serial number for the motor is 1792089. I have to go back out and check the transom clamp and such. Thanks :)

Jake362

Cadet

Forgive me for being a little naive,but what is a welsh plug. I found a couple of things with serial numbers on them, but nothing that matched the serial number on the transom clamp. I am going to continue my search for the Welsh plug. I did find some kind of plug on the top back end of the block, but the numbers did not match. I'll look again. Thanks for your help :) :)

Jake362

Cadet

Well you guys got me 99.8% sure that it's a '58. I've noticed that the cowl doesn't fit exactly snug. There's a little play in it,so it probably has been replaced like you said. I still have a question on where exactly the Welsh plug is. I believe I did find it ,but the serial numbers don't match. That's where my .2 % of doubt comes from. Thanks to all for your wisdom and time. anymore info on this motor is welcomed. I will probably need all I can get. Thanks again Jake362 :cool:

Paul Moir

Admiral

I think you may have found it already. It's a soft metal convex plug pressed into the engine block. It's about the size of a quarter and is usually unpainted.<br /><br />If you're confident in the numbers "20" in your model number, that indicates it's a '58. Hyphen or no hypen. The serial number is consistant with a '58 too.

Jake362

Cadet

Thanks, Your right! I did find the plug that about the size of a quarter. I was thinking it was it. I'm pretty convinced now that it's a '58. The cowl was loose, but that was because the seal seemed to be missing from it. I fixed that problem. Like you said, the cowl was probably switched. Finally got it running half way decent. Now to check out other things on it. Thanks again :D jake362 :cool: