Chrysler 120 hp Buy or not ?

matrix29

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys !! I just went to look on a outboard today it is a 120 hp chrysler 1977 i think. The guys asking about 300 $ canadian. the engine look very clean he didnt used it for a year and a half. I need to know if those engine have a good reputation ? I got a 14 feet boats whit a 50hp evinrude i wonder if i can put that kind of engine on it? My boat is a grew ss140 . Thank

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Chrysler 120 hp Buy or not ?

Look at the transom on your boat and find out the max HP allowed. I doubt you can put a 120 on it. If you do you could cause severe damage to you and your boat. 300 bucks is a good price if you a good at mechanics and you have a service manual. I would want a compression test done and at least see it run in a test tank before buying it. Motor probably weighs over 400 lbs.

matrix29

Seaman Apprentice

wow 400 lbs :) yeah it is probably to big for my boat :( But maybe i cant buy it anyways . I plan to get a biggers boat to do some ski and i look at the price for outboard it is expensive... You know if i can put a power trim on those? right now the is none on it. it is easy to lift becose there is 2 cylinder but i wonder how much a trim can cost on that ? If you know let me know !! thanks<br /><br />see ya

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Matrix I would pass on it. Chrysler is out of business they no longer make them. I would personally keep saving my money and get an engine that is still in production i.e. Merc, Yammy, Johnson, Evinrude, ECT. Buying a Chrysler or a FORCE is kind of like buying stock in Enron, WorldCom, or Montgomery Wards. All out of business.

matrix29

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks booner !! I think i will do that.., i seen nice boat no that expensive i will sell my actual one soon and by one next years . im look for something like 115 hp merc to do some ski i like fishing to. <br /><br />see ya :)