1967 55 magneto problem

My first post and I have a problem! I have done some searching but I want to find out if I am on the right track. I have a 1967 Chrysler 55 outboard. It has the battery start, no generator, and the magneto under the flywheel. My dad had lost the original key to the controls. I replace the switch with a generic merc. switch with the same # of posts and a push in choke. <br />I got the engine to fire up and run but now I am getting no spark and when I turn the ignition to "on" smoke starts pouring out from under the flywheel. There is some kind of short obviously, but I am not sure what caused it. I haven't pulled the flywheel off yet but the only thing I can see is that the white and blue wires need to be switched? Is there a difference in the ignition switches for magneto or electric? I noticed on the terminal in the engine the black line from the magneto the plastic melted some so I am getting high voltage??

mjgundry

Recruit
Re: 1967 55 magneto problem

I think you may have done what the previous owner of my boat did - used the wrong type of ignition switch.<br /><br />A switch set up for battery/alternator types of ignition will generally have a lead marked "I" or IGN". When the switch is turned on, this lead is hot, thereby providing power to the ignition. A magneto switch will have one or more terminals marked "M". When properly connected, this switch will serve to ground the points when off, thereby disabling the internally powered magneto. (Note: some switches have both types of terminals)<br /><br />Using the former switch with the latter ignition will cause undesired current to flow from the battery to the magneto. This can cause melted wires and a damaged point block, but hopefully no further damage. In my case, the ground lead for the magneto was a little charred where it connects to the points, and the little plastic nut on the points was melted. It could also potentially damage the coil.<br /><br />Cheers,<br />Matt

Matt,<br />Thanks for the reply, I think I have read your posts. I am pretty sure it says mag but I'll double check tonight. I got the switch from Overton's it's suppose to go to a Merc. I had a problem with the small rectangular switch before the magneto was smoking, it was switching off/on/off when I would turn the key to on. This is the 12v switch that is wired from the starter solenoid.

For an update, I got the flywheel off. One of the contacts was melted. The plastic nut that holds the wires together melted, just as Matt said. I am going to replace the contact and condensor.