smoke coming out of pee hole

upyourkilt

Cadet
the engine is a chrysler 55hp single carb and has smoke coming out of the pee hole and only a little spout of water.<br /><br />is this normal?<br /><br />any help appreciated...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: smoke coming out of pee hole

Not normal, UYK.<br /><br />It is probably steam. Replace the impeller and do a compression check.<br /><br />Good luck, and let us know what you find. :)

upyourkilt

Cadet

i checked the impeller and it looks ok ,is there any signs that it is worn or do you change them anyway ? ive had another look at the pee hole when running and its definately smoke comming out is this bad news ?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Impeller should be replaced every other season. With the age of that motor it would not hurt to put a new water pump on it. You should get a compression test done on it before you go any farther. If it is a burned up cylinder it is not worth fixing. Another possiblity is bad exhaust gaskets.

upyourkilt

Cadet

had top end appart and it has blown a head gasket , so will replace that , what do you mean by water pump ,is that impeller housing ? and there are 4studs snapped on left hand side of engine looking from the back is this exaust side ?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Water pump is the housing for the impeller. If it is pitted or has dings in it it should be replaced. If you are running motor in salt water the life of a water pump is decreased because of the corrosive nature of salt.<br /><br />Port side is where the exhaust gaskets are. Those four snapped bolts are a problem. I took my 45 HP apart last year and had to replace the exhaust gaskets and broke 3 screws doing it. If this happens you are not lucky. I had to drill out all three screws and use JB Weld and re tap. One screw still will not hold tight enough. In order to get it to quit spraying water I had to JB Weld the screw and put it in. Hope It dont ever have to come apart again

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Could you observe water flowing through the clear plastic tube going into the thermostat on the head? You'll need the cover off to do this. The 55 came with an overheat warning sensor and light which should be on the dash of the boat.

upyourkilt

Cadet

were does the overheat sensor come from ? on the top of the head looking at the spark plugs there are 2 snapped nuts are these the overheat sensors ? and is it usual with chrysler engines to take them out one day and fix them the next or are they good once you get them right .