I am in need of a engine wiring harness

jtp7571

Seaman Apprentice
Can any one help me? I cannot find a wiring harness any where. Does anyone have one. <br /><br />I have what I think is a 1991 Force 90hp engine (90-GX90C) and I am trying to hook it up to my pontoon boat. My problem is that the boat has a 8 hole cannon/cobra receptor and I cannot find one that I can hook up to the engine and then plug it into the one that is on the boat. I was thinking of buying an 19' extention that that has the right type of plug, cutting the male end and hooking it up to the bar that has the screws on it but someone said to me that I will have to attach other wires to other places. <br />The plug has 8 holes in it and there are 7 screws that have wires to the bar. The bar has: Start-yellow/red stripe(wire)<br />Tach-Gray <br />Stop-Black\yellow stripe<br />Choke- Yellow/black stripe<br />Over heat-Tan<br />2nd stop- no wire<br />positive-red/purple stripe<br />groung-black<br /><br />Isn't this all I have to hook up or is there more.<br /><br />Please help me I have a bunch of screaming kids saying "Fix the boat Daddy, we want to go tubing". I know that I sound like a blithring idiot but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Realgun

Commander
Re: I am in need of a engine wiring harness

I am not good at electronics but all boats and engine are built on the same principal. 12V+ to ground. All you really need to do is get the right wires to the right places. It seems al you need is a diagram. Mercury should be able to help with the motor part.<br /><br />Welcome to iBoats!!!! <br /><br />We will do our best and I am sure somebody has done what your going to do already and will stop by. You could also try the electronics forum here too.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Your model number is 906x90c<br />1990 model version "C"<br /><br />If you can figure out all the wiring, and I think you have it, then you have a good shot of making it work.<br /><br />Will your shift and throttle cables work on that motor?

jtp7571

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you Commander for you input. <br />Admiral, I also thank you as well. Yes the Shift and throttle cables work fine just had to adapt them a little.. I decided to cut the plug and wire direct but I have only one wire to go (7 out of 8, not bad) <br />The wire that I cannot figure out where this purple one goes. the only open spot is just above the ground wire's postion on the bar(port side) The side script says it is the 2nd STOP but there seem to be a flange of thin metel that over laps from the one 12v power screw. I have my SELOC manual but When I folowed the wire to the key/ignition swich. That is where I get a little troubled. The switch has the letters at each terminal. they are from the 12 o'clock position clock wise "M"(black wire), 3 o'clock "B"(red/blue stripe), 5 o'clock "M" (black/yellow stripe), 8 o'clock "S" (Purple), 9 o'clock "A" (yellow/red stripe), and one in the center having "C" (yellow/black stripe). The manual has letters I, M, C, S, S, M. How do the letter corespond and what are they for? <br /><br />I think I should put the purple one on the 2nd stop. I just want to make sure so can any one advise me so I don't kill any thing. Myself especily.

Purple probably for tachometer.<br />Is on mine, and is mentioned as tach in lots of other posts re wiring

luvsfishing

Cadet

Doug Russell dougrussell.com has tons of Force parts. I saw a harness on there for about $50, but am not sure if it is the one for your outboard. They have engine diagrams for every part they sell.

shaggy85force

Recruit

Originally posted by John P.:<br /> Can any one help me? I cannot find a wiring harness any where. Does anyone have one. <br /><br />I have what I think is a 1991 Force 90hp engine (90-GX90C) and I am trying to hook it up to my pontoon boat. My problem is that the boat has a 8 hole cannon/cobra receptor and I cannot find one that I can hook up to the engine and then plug it into the one that is on the boat. I was thinking of buying an 19' extention that that has the right type of plug, cutting the male end and hooking it up to the bar that has the screws on it but someone said to me that I will have to attach other wires to other places. <br />The plug has 8 holes in it and there are 7 screws that have wires to the bar. The bar has: Start-yellow/red stripe(wire)<br />Tach-Gray <br />Stop-Black\yellow stripe<br />Choke- Yellow/black stripe<br />Over heat-Tan<br />2nd stop- no wire<br />positive-red/purple stripe<br />groung-black<br /><br />Isn't this all I have to hook up or is there more.<br /><br />Please help me I have a bunch of screaming kids saying "Fix the boat Daddy, we want to go tubing". I know that I sound like a blithring idiot but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

shaggy85force

Recruit

Im about to do the same thing(wire direct) Any info to help me get on my way?

jtp7571

Seaman Apprentice

You do have a manual? It is of extreem importance. The direct approch worked well for me.