Starter continues spinning in neutral, normal?

Irish Rob

Cadet
Something is wrong here. I have a 1998 50hp. When I turn the key, the starter engages the flywheel and turns over the motor and then disengages, however the starter drive assembly keeps spinning when disengaged. Shouldn't it stop spinning after disengaging? When motor is put in gear it stops spinning until returned to neutral. When lever is positioned back to neutral, starter briefly engages flywheel again and then disengages and keeps spinning. This makes a kling sound every time the lever is returned to neutral. It's a brand new starter, but old one did the same. I don't want to replace this one anytime soon. Any suggestions. <br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Rob

spartanpele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Starter continues spinning in neutral, normal?

Starter relay solenoid? Neutral safety switch?

Irish Rob

Cadet

Yeah, but which one? Book says "solenoid stuck on" as probable cause for "starter continues running after key is released". But is this MY problem? I mean, what does "key is released" mean, ignition turned off? Other probable causes for this symptom include "key switch failure", Yellow or yellow/red wire circuit malfunction". Has anyone been down this road? Thx.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

My "guess" is that the key switch is malfunctioning. Sounds like it is going stright to the "start" position rather than to the "on" position. You could have the starter wire hooked to the "on" terminal...which would cause the starter to disengage when shift lever is taken out of neutral. This interrupts the circuit which prevents starter from engaging. I'm not familiar with your engine but it is probably one that the off position kills the engine by grounding the coil or current to the coil. I'd definitely check my wiring harness at both ends to make sure all circuits are wired correctly to starter and ignition. If everything checks out then you KNOW you have a faulty key switch. Of course, this can be checked by taking all the wires off and using an ohm meter to check continuity at each position.

spartanpele

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When you start your motor, you turn clockwise to the on position, and then if you continue to twist you are going to the start position. Once your engine is started, you release the key. Otherwise you would be grinding the starter because the engine is already started. <br /><br />I think RandyJ is right...it sounds like the key switch, solenoid or miswiring.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

When you release the key after the motor starts does the key snap back to the on position? The switch is spring loaded and should snap back to the on positon. When you shift out of neutral the interlock switch disengages and stops current flow the the starter solinoid. Sounds like a miswired or broken ignition switch to me.

Irish Rob

Cadet

Yep, you were right. The key is not snaping back to the "Run" position and stays on "start" hence the starter keeps spinning. I tried to loosen a little bit and it now eases back but slowly. Looks like I would have to cut the wires off the ignition switch to change it out. There are about 6-8 wires going into the ignition switch. Going to be a nice job to install a new one. <br /><br />Thanks for all the info, you guys are always helpful.<br /><br />Rob