new CDI ignition installed - how to add tach?

jvb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a 1973 chysler 70 hp, i just finished replacing the ignition power pack with a new CDI ignition. the new replacement is completely different than the original and the coil is built in. but, this new ignition specifically says it doesnt have a tach sender built in. a local marina said to hook my tack to the either of the yellow wires on the regulator. BUT, there are no yellow wires on the regulator, and it doesnt really seem like the right place anyways... (this guy hasnt been very reliable lately.) so, where the heck do I attach the tach sender to???<br /><br />btw: the replacement CDI ignition doesnt fit the old mounting holes, even though the guy at the marina promised it would. (no returns of course) i had to drill another hole into the engine mount just to get two bolts on this thing. but, got it in there and the motor runs great.

1tnrcr

Cadet
Re: new CDI ignition installed - how to add tach?

I replaced mine ignition with a CDI unit last summer. I was told that the tach will not work with the new control box. They also told me if I wanted a tach that my box could be reconditioned, but it would cost almost twice as much as the new box.<br /> Also on your mount. Mine would not fit either, what you do is remove the bracket that the stock control box mounts on, looks like a horseshoe shaped brcket. Then use the spacers supplied with the new box. This was not explained in the instructions. <br /> Good luck, happy boating.

jvb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: new CDI ignition installed - how to add tach?

my original wasnt mounted to a bracket, it was bolted directly to a big plate on the side of the engine. there wasnt anything that would possibly line up on it... thanks for the info tho! is there any sense to hooking a tach to the regulator? doesnt seem so to me...