Prop Selection Help

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, need to pick your brains again. I have a 18.5' tri-hull boat with a 6' beam. The motor is a 75hp 1984 Chrysler. From what I gather the boat is relatively light. Its basically a fiberglass shell with 6 seats in it. <br /><br />I changed the oil in the L/U this weekend and I noticed that I have to replace the prop. One of the fins has a crack in it. Anyway, the only number I could find stamped on the prop is 523 17. Michigan Wheel's web site recommends a 14x13 prop. Would a 17 pitch prop work better? With the current prop at WOT and no chop I can do 38MPH. That's with 2 adults, 2 or 3 kids, cooler & 18-24 gallons of fuel. MI Wheel's 13 1/4 x 17 is part # 072107. 14 X 13 is 072054. <br /><br />I'm not looking to be a speed freak, we tube with it, cruise up and down Eastern Bay, fish, etc. Its an all-purpose rig. The current set up pushes it pretty good. She ain't much to look at but no boat payment, and runs like a top and she's all mine.

Omega-1

Seaman
Re: Prop Selection Help

Red-neck,<br />Since you do not have the pitch or diameter of your old prop stamped on its hub, and that you are able to do 38 mph with it, my advice is that you stick with what you know give you satisfactory performance. Here is what I recommend: Take your old prop to a prop shop, have them tell you the diameter and pitch, and have them repair it. You will come back with essentially a new prop which will function well in your boat. If you begin to mess around with different pitch or diameter, then you need to work with a prop dealer on a trial basis before purchase, otherwise you may be buying a prop which may not give you the performance you want.