shiftrod connection ?!?

AJbythebay

Cadet
i own a 1988 bayliner with a force 125. about a week ago i took off the lower unit and replaced the impeller kit. well, long story short, i made a bonehead mistake and misplaced (lost) a piece. the piece i'm looking for is some type of connection between the shiftrod on the lower unit and the "L" shaped pin that comes down from the leg on the motor. i believe the piece was a "block" shaped 1"/2" piece that causes the shiftrod to rise and lower from fwd/ntrl/rvs .anyway the bottom line is i'm stuck! and i don't even know what to call the part when i'm calling around searching.please help , i need the name of the part and a good resource. thank you for your time... :D

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: shiftrod connection ?!?

If the two pieces it joins are threaded and you adjust the linkage by turning it, I'd call it the linkage adjusting nut.

AJbythebay

Cadet

well the pieces are not threaded, the shiftrod has a hole in it that would be secured by a shear and cotter pin , the piece (or "L" shaped bar) that comes out of the leg has no threads, and no holes...any ideas, thanks

DHPMARINE

Captain

I know the part you need.Once you pull the cotter pin,and drop the lower unit,it just slips off to the ground,floor or what ever.Just go to your local Merc dealer and order one.<br /><br />DHP

Realgun

Commander

F85704 COUPLER, GEAR SHIFT ROD $20.20 $19.84 <br /><br />I just picked an engine at radom so go Here and look for that exact part.<br /><br />I did look at a few and that part# seems to be correct.<br /> Hint-look under motor leg.

AJbythebay

Cadet

hey realgun , just wanted to say thanks, you were right on with that web link you gave me , i got the part and was in the water last week , everything was great , except for one thing , a few times when shifting from in gear to neutral the motor cut out, seems like a common problem around this forum , any suggestions? anyway you have helped tons already , thanks again

Realgun

Commander

Good to know i don't just tee people off. :D <br /><br />Glad your back in the water. Got me a new truck and have 200 miles more before I can tow!