140 Chrysler / Force Lower Unit

JGKoenig

Seaman
I have a 1983 Chysler 140 (runs owesome) and I recently installed a rebuilt lower unit off of a newer Force. My old lower unit used that cone thing (prop nut) as a safety in case the prop came loose. The new lower unit does not have a long enough prop shaft to install it. What did the Force motors use as a safety? A lock washer maybe?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 140 Chrysler / Force Lower Unit

Maybe this will help<br /> FORCE 120HP LOWER UNIT <br /><br />You did not mention what model the lower unit came off of. My guess is you will have to use a force prop and get the end pieces shown on the above link

JGKoenig

Seaman
Re: 140 Chrysler / Force Lower Unit

That helped quite a bit. Unless one of those washers is some type of lock washer, there is no safety. The only safety piece is the lock nut (just a nylock nut). It looks like I have everything. I currently have a hole drilled through the nut and the shaft. I have been putting a cotter pin thought the hole. My issue is that I want to change my prop (while the boat is in the water) and the new prop is slightly linger than the previous one. The cotter pin no longer lines up. I think with a new bolt I will be OK. <br /><br />Thanks for the help.