engine height on transom

rayiow

Seaman
bought a chrysler striper(15ft) with a 1989 us marine force 50hp,the outboard sat on a 1/2" block on top of the transom which made the hydrofins that were fitted sit about 1.5" below the keel,with 3 adults with fishing gear i was getting around 25 knots(gps) with moderate weather(not calm)and i was happy with the performance,but the fins were not visible whilst on the plane(yet my mate in his 15ft speed boat with 30 a mariner with fins level with keel his fins are visible when on the plane).I have been told that the fins should be visible when on the plane also going from replys from topic's entered that the fins should be at least LEVEL with the keel and not lower as which mine are.<br />my dilema is that i have just rebuilt my transom and i have replaced the 1/2" block with a 1.3/4" block to make the fins level with the keel,i have been out in it just the once there was a slight swell and all i kept hearing was the rev's getting higher as the prop kept coming out of the water so i am abit concerned, my engine is off at the moment as i am replacing power head,head and exhaust gaskets so now is the time to maybe lower it by an 1"(using the clamp holes) although it would mean me having to grind off my nice new stainles steel transom plate which goes over the whole transom and that is well and truly glued on mmmmmmm or is the engine set at the right height now and i should just play with the settings and weight distribution on the boat.<br />Also i am having trouble getting hold of a tacho/rev counter so i cannot tell how well the engine is working so do these engine rev high when WOT although the sooner i can get a tacho the better.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: engine height on transom

The engine will rev high if the swell lifts the rear of the boat out of the water.<br /><br />Yes, fins should be above the water when underway.<br /><br />Have you tried it without the fins?

rayiow

Seaman

the fins were already fitted so when i took it out for the first time i hit abit of rough weather with choppy swells and it handled it perfect with no problems it was only in calm sea conditions that it was noticed that the fins were too low and not visible when under way.no i have not tried it without the fins yet but i will, thankyou.

GonzoJ

Recruit

How did you replace the transom on the Chrysler Striper? I am trying to figure out how you would get all the old wood out and put new stuff in. How much do you have to take apart?