Start up (starter?) problem with 90HP FORCE

ivan555

Cadet
Dear all: I could not start up my 90HP 1992 Force today. The choke worked but starter did not respond at all. At first I thought that my old battery died, and bought a new one - but no effect. I did not use the boat for a week, and last time I had no problems what so ever! Do I need a new starter? Or there are other things to check first (I have checked the fuses) ? Also how can I check starter if it works or not? Thanks.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Start up (starter?) problem with 90HP FORCE

First check to see if all battery connections are tight. Also make sure motor is in neutral and the neutral interlock switch is working properly. When you turn the key to start are you hearing a click? If so this should be the starter solinoid engaging. Next step would be to remove battery connection and file or sand all contacts till they shine. Also clean the battery leads. Remove and clean wire to the starter and both big wires to the starter solinoid and file or sand them as well. If none of this works the next step is to take the starter apart and clean it out. A new starter is about 150 bucks but chances are yours justs needs to be cleaned out.

ivan555

Cadet

Thank for suggestions. No, I don’t hear a click. I already sanded all the battery connections but that did not help. I’ll try do disassemble the starter and clean it. What exactly should I clean inside (brushes), and for what type of wear should I look for?

Schoe

Cadet

I had the same problem and did what Eurolarva suggested. Clean where the brushes contact because this area gets very carboned up and the contact from the brushes can be lost. It can work fine one hour and be dead the next. Also clean out where the brushes are housed because carbon will build up in the housings and prevent the brushes from contacting the armature. Clean is the keyword here. If that does not work pick up a used one from E-Bay. I had to go that route. I had mine and I picked up a dead one from E-Bay and put the two together for a few bucks.

ivan555

Cadet

Thankx a lot guys! I'll try it tomorrow.

ivan555

Cadet

Is there a possibility that CDI box burned out?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Before taking the starter apart you might want to check the starter relay and the neutral interlock switch. You should be hearing a click. My guess is the neutral interlock switch is located on the starboard side of the motor. It is located somewhere on one of the shift linkages next to the power head. This switch is activated and allows voltage to go to the starter relay. The starter relay should be close to the starter. <br /><br />IF you decide to take the starter apart here is a blow up of it<br /> Starter Force 90HP

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Also read this post. It will give you some background on the starting system. This is for a 45 HP chrysler but your motor should be similar in the starter system.<br /> Starter system