Force 15hp / no forward???

fhrussell

Cadet
I have a Force 15 outboard. Discovered today, just as I cast off the mooring, that I did not have a forward gear. I did have reverse, just not forward. I am admittedly ignorant on the workings of the outboard, but assume that this is not a specific issue with Force... more of a general issue. Anyway, anyone know whats going on and what it should cost me to have fixed?<br />Thanks!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 15hp / no forward???

If it is mechanical (shift linkage), it could be relatively cheap, maybe an hour labor.<br />If it is something more involved, like replaceing the clutchdog, it will be several hundred.<br /><br />The shift rod that goes down to the lower unit is made up of two pieces. They are joined just above the lower unit (inside the midsection). It may have loosened up and partially separated.<br /><br />If you remove the 4 screws securing the lower unit, it will drop down far enough so you can view or tighten the connection.

fhrussell

Cadet
Re: Force 15hp / no forward???

Thanks Roscoe!... I'm taking it to the shop today. Your reply gives me a little insight to whats going on, so when the tech tells me whats wrong, I can follow on some level. <br />Actually, I am handy and a 'fix-it-myself' kind of guy, but have never got involved outboards. Do you think it's something I could tackle? I don't have the manual either. Thanks again.........