Force 40 quits at high speed

BassBuggyBob

Cadet
My Force 40 is a 1997 model. I purchased the boat last fall and just got it to the water this spring. Initially, the engine ran fine. The second time out, it quit about three miles from the marina. That turned out to be a very bad fuel mix. Apparently there was trash in the tank in addition to the StayBil and such. Anyway, after a new tank, new fuel line and filter, I finally blew the trash threw the system and it has been running great. Until last night.<br />The engine ran fine at "trolling speeds" but died everytime I ran it up to full throttle. It would crank right away after dying, and run fine at low speed...then quit everytime I opened it up full.<br />The vent was open on the tank...the primer bulb was collapsed. Does anywone have any ideas?<br />Thanks!

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Force 40 quits at high speed

Fuel pump diaphram perhaps. Have you changed that?

BassBuggyBob

Cadet

As you can see by my "Cadet" status, I am new to this. I just saw a post regarding the fuel flow direction and the question was asked "is the bulb reversed?"...<br />When I replaced everything, I had no idea that would matter. I didn't know to look for an "arrow" stamped on the bulb. I did notice the arrow the other night and noticed it pointed toward the tank instead. Being the novice I am, I still didn't think that would matter. Could this be my problem?<br />(I need to add one of those "embarrassed" icons here...)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yes, there is a check valve in the bulb to allow the fuel to pump in only one direction (arrow). Without the checkvalve, the fuel in the bulb and hose would drain back into the tank.<br /><br />The fuel pump was pumping and sucked the fuel bulb flat.<br />Could not suck up any more fuel.<br /><br />Why/how did it work the last time out? Possibly it was stuck open<br /><br />Switch it around and go for a test drive. <br />Have fun.

BassBuggyBob

Cadet

Thank you, Admiral Roscoe! I've run the engine about six hours since swapping the tanks, but most trips have been up the channel and back. I repositioned the fuel line the other night while I was doing some cleaning. Apparently the way it was laying before left it open enough to draw fuel through in a steady stream.<br />We learn by doing...some by watching others do it...