Trouble restarting Chrysler 55

86 Quickstang

Recruit
When I first start my engine it runs fine and smooth. When I give it throttle it has plenty of power. When slowing down to an idle it still runs smooth. After driving the boat for any length of time as I try to get back to a slow idle the engine wants to kill. If I shut it off it does not want to start again. If I give it throttle as I let go of the key it catches and starts as long as Im giving gas. I cannot drive the boat at very slow speeds as the engine gets warm. I've recently cleaned out the carb and the problem persists. The gas I use is fresh and mixed correctly. The vents on the cans are open. I'm new to boat engines so I'm not sure what to look for. Engine is a butiful 76 Chrysler 55. Thanks for any help.

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Trouble restarting Chrysler 55

Did you adjust the idle mixture correctly? Sounds like you might want to enrich the mixture a little or up the idle speed a little. With the engine getting hot at slow idle speeds, you might need to replace the water pump impeller.

86 Quickstang

Recruit

Thanks for the input. I considered the impeller after reading a bunch of posts on here. I'm not exactly sure how to go about adjusting the carb. I assume the air fuel mix is located at the top of the carb while looking into it. I cannot see how to adjust the idle unless it has something to do with the linkage. I need to get a repair manual for this engine.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

For starters, turn the brass screw above the carb opening, turn it in, then back it out 1.5 turns.