70's chrysl. fires but, doesn't run

gobo

Cadet
My moter will fire with ether, but won't stay running...<br />I think I set the timing correctly...<br />The key is alright in the flywheel...<br />How do I test the fuel pump?<br />Also, it backfires out the exhaust.<br />It;s an 85hp<br />Thanks, all Bo

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 70's chrysl. fires but, doesn't run

First off, never use starting fluid on a two-stroke. It is like running a 4-stroke without oil---bad news. Use "Sea Foam Deep-Creep" in the spray can for decarbing the engine. But also, it doubles as a great two-cycle starting fluid. I keep a can onboard just in case. But you're on the right track with the fuel pump.<br /><br />The problem is carb or fuel delivery.<br />My first attack to this problem on that motor would be to disconnect the fuel line at the carb, put the line in a jar ,and hit the starter. If it pulses fuel, it's ok. I highly suspect you'll need to order a new fuel pump kit. The diaphram fails about every other year under normal conditions. This is because of the enhanced ,no-lead formulations of modern fuels.<br />The alcohol eats the rubber.<br />If it did pulse fuel, the problem is a clogged pick up tube, or other orafice in the carb.<br />Finaly, check compression. The reason being that the fuel pump operates on the motor's compression...No, or low compression=motionless diaphram=no fuel delivery.

bnk999

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The fuel pump is painfully easy to rebuild on these motors- The kits are available from Napa and usually are ~10 bucks -- Would start there- Did the motor sit with old gas for a while? If so you will need to clean / possibly rebuild the carbs- Do not spray carb cleaner in there- just drop the bowls and then clean everything- These motors have to have 50:1 oil ratio and when you spray starting fluid or carb cleaner and crank motor you are taking away lubrication-

gobo

Cadet

Thanks GuYs...<br />I'll start here and go... Bo

t.martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same problem with my 85hp. Backfiring is more than likely timing. Find TDC for all three cylinders and mark them on the flywheel then put a timing light on it and make sure your firing order is right.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

If you disconnected the plug wires make sure you hooked them up right. If you reversed a set of plug wires this will also cause a back fire.