Stator or Regulator?

Albatross

Cadet
My 75HP 1978 Chrysler is not charging. It runs fine but progressively runs the battery/s down. This takes about 3hrs of running. I have a charge tester that plugs into the auxhillery socket with a simple LED readout that ways the charging system is faulty. The tacho works OK 95% of the time. Very occaisonally it will fail momentarily. Should I be looking at the stator, voltage regulator or eslwhere?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stator or Regulator?

I would say regulator first. Its easier and cheaper. :) <br />Double check all the wire leads for damage, corrosion, and tightness, before spending any money.

Albatross

Cadet

Is their anyway of testing the regulator simply using a multimeter?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

It looks like the regulator and rectifier are one component on your motor. That sucker is not cheap either. Merc says the part is 325 dollars. My guess is that if you hook up a multimeter to the battery the voltage should go up to over 13 volts DC when the motor is running and somewhere around 12.25 to 12.65 when the motor is not running. If voltage does not go up chances are at least the rectifier is shot. If you have a factory installed chrysler tach chances are it is not taking the signal off the rectifer. Chances are the tach is connected via the purple wire.