Do i need a new lower unit? (photo)

ebsworj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mechanic said my lower unit was trashed since the previous owner had not put the spacer/washer back on with the prop. He said it has ground away metal inside and a new version of my normal prop wouldn't fit anymore? He did what he could so we could go out memorial day weekend but couldn't get the right prop, but he said this one would work better it its condition anyway. <br /><br />Now I have a HUGE space between teh prop and the lower unit and it CAVITATES like crazy! I can't go 20 MPH w/ my Force 120. We didn't have that problem before. What can i do to make the prop closer to the lower unit?<br /><br /><br />
2.jpg
<br /><br /> Link to another pic

novicetech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Do i need a new lower unit? (photo)

Wow that is bad, I wou;d look for used lower on ebay.

ebsworj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what is holding the prop back from sliding into the unit? Compared to others I've seen there isnt much metal taken off the case..not enough to make that space. I guess i take it back to my mechanic and tell him he made it worse.

ebsworj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

anybody got a lower unit to sell?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

That whole thing just looks odd. What is that prop off of?<br />Do you still have the original prop?<br />Things to consider:<br />If the replaced prop has enough meat in the hub, it can possibly be machined-down to fit.<br /><br />Maybe a splined "stop" washer could be made from an old prop hub?<br />Outside of that, ebay.