Help With Force 125

mohav

Recruit
Well I just purchased a 1988 Bayliner with a Force 125. The problem is that the motor took a big hit in shallow water which broke off the fin on the lower unit which is right before the prop. The previous owner said that he changed the prop and kept using the boat. <br /><br />I havent had the boat in the water yet but the lower unit has a lot of back-and-forth movement in it. If you take the cover off, you can see the block moving together with the lower part. Are there any mounts that could have been damaged to cause this or is the movement normal?<br /><br />Also, the prop moves back and forth (about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch) on the shaft as well. It cannot be tightened anymore then it already is. Does it mean that it is not the right prop for the motor? I appreciate any help. <br />Thanks!

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Help With Force 125

The 1/4 to 1/2 play in the prop is normal. This is the gap between the clutch dog and gear faces. The play should be in the prop shaft not the propeller. If the prop has play on the prop shaft then you have something wrong. The fin you mentioned is a skeg. As long as no water is getting in and there is no oil leaking out it should be mechanically okay. The biggest problem you will have if you hit a rock or go too shallow you could mess up your prop. Machine shops will re weld a piece on for you for a reasonable rate.

mohav

Recruit
Re: Help With Force 125

Thanks for the link, I suspect that someone just put the wrong prop on the motor when it took a hit and ruined the original but I took the boat out today for the first time anyway. It makes noise when I put it into reverse because of the play in the prop so I will replace that asap. <br /><br />The movement from the block and the leg causes alot of vibration in the low rpm range but it smoothes out after it picks up speed. What holds the leg in place? Are there mounts that probably broke during the impact?