new boat no worky L drive HELP!!

peacekeeper6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
well the Ldrive force 125. i have everything done right but i am not getting any spart at all at the plugs. i have a spark plug tester with the light and on every cylinder it doesnt light up. what gives? i know newer boats havet aht shift thingy could that be whats wrong? i can get pictures if anyone needs. i was told to poist here as this engine is more of a outboard then inboard

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: new boat no worky L drive HELP!!

shift thingy ?<br /><br />Is the kill switch enabled?<br />Are you in neutral?<br /><br />If so, bypass the kill switch, check operation of neutral interlock switch if you have one.<br />Then check stator, trigger, switchbox, then coils.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Do you have the spark plug tester grounded?

peacekeeper6

how do i check those things? the cd's were replaced about 7 months ago, its inline

peacekeeper6

what am i checking on all those things? how do i check them? i was told this boat is operational so i would really liek to know what i can do to get it working. maybe i just have something aligned wrong or something somone please help!

peacekeeper6

and like i said all i ahve is no spark, i am new to this type of newer ignition so i would like to get the down and dirty on all the new terms. any help is appreciated.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Check the back side of the ignition switch for any loose wires.<br /><br />The other things to check out on the ignition will vary with your model of motor. I don't have any specs for your motor, but they are available in most generic repair manuals, or in the oem factory repair manual.<br /><br />Doubtful that all coils would go bad so lets count those out for now.<br /><br />Stator is tested for resistance (ohms), 2 yellow wires coming from under the flywheel, lower numbers are good, high numbers or infinity is bad.<br /><br />Flywheel has magnets glued to the underside.<br />It spins over the stator which is a series of wire coils and generates power, which it sends to the switchbox.<br /><br />The trigger also picks up a signal from the flywheel and sends a signal to the switchbox, telling it when to fire. The switchbox fires juice to the coils which feed the sparkplugs.<br /><br /><br />I hope this helps a little, best to get a manual.<br /><br />And thank you for your Service.

DHPMARINE

Captain

I'd start with the guy that said the boat was operational.<br /><br />DHP

peacekeeper6

yea beleive me i did, and boy did i let him have it. he said fix the trigger linkage and it works, ok i say i get ahold of some good ol JB fix it and no spark anywhere.

peacekeeper6

well i have it all put together with the lock out switch bypassed. are there any more lock outs that i ahve to worry about? and the stator has some resistance but not that mch, i think around 3 megohms

peacekeeper6

and on the ignition side the boat lights up and everything works. . . but the engine.