Pee stream Temp

Toontime

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have a 94 88spl which only gets to luke warm. Heads are not cold, can hold a finger on them for 10 seconds or so before it gets uncomfortable. Bought it used and have not inspected thermostats. Runs fine but uses a lot of fuel compared to other outboards I have owned. What temp should I expect from discharged water.

timmathis

Lieutenant
Re: Pee stream Temp

I think around 160 f. I could be wrong. Anybody else? Tim

Drowned Rat

Captain

It should be warmer that luke, but not hot either. Like hot bath water. If you can hold your hand on the head for 10 seconds, that's pretty good, but checking the stats is easy and would give you peace of mind. :)

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

The tell tale stream should be the same temp as the water entering the motor. If it's running cool, the t-stats could have been removed by previuos owner. The motors do not run correctly when they can't reach operating tempurature.

Toontime

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Conflicting advice? Does the pee stream just act as a pressure relief or does heated water actually exit there? If not, where do it go?

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

The tell tale is just to show that there is water getting up to the motor. It is located where the water enters the motor so it does not indicate that the motor is cooling properly. It is just for a visual check. The water exits from the prop and the 2 exhaust reliefs on the rear of the motor right below the cowling.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

about what davef says. on that particular motor the tell tale is just that. does nothing to indicate if its cooling just is the pump working.<br /> discharge water is about the same spot as where the water enters the block from the pump. I think merc was about the only one that did it otherwise.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I have outboards that pee cold, exhaust water hot.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The temperature of the pee stream has little to do with the health of the cooling system on the outboards I've owner (Johnson, Yamaha, Merc).

Toontime

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the help, guys. Just another thing that needed clearing up for me. I've also had motors that peed hot and cold and was just wondering about this one.