1990 90 HP Force need help

rubenjs2784

Cadet
OK guys, here is my situation. Just bought a 1990 18ft Capri with a 90 hp force engine. The engine has a brand new power head, and was broke properly. I have all paperwork on the rebuilt head. This was in 2001. New Mexico has been suffering a BAD drought the past few years and of course no water in the lakes, so it has been sitting since then (covered). The boat was a consignment and the boat dealer had a pit, and ran it and it ran fine. Compression is good. What I did was drained all of the old fuel, cleaned out carbs(dropped the bowls cleaned out) sprayed carb cleaner in carbs. Replaced plugs. Replaced with 89 octand gas (50:1) Merc oil. This is were I went wrong. While looking at the carbs, I noticed that when I went to full throttle in gear (not running of cource) they did seem to open up all the way, about 80%. So I stared ajusting the trottle linkage to give a little more. But inturn timing and carberation work together. So after calling the local boat shop come to find out doent need to open up all the way. Hoping I didn't mess it up to much I stared it up (with muffs) and started easy. and ran fine on the hose as they all do. Went to the lake and stared fine as for going into gear. When I give a little trottle bogs down and dies. Tweaked with the carbs, and timing (free hand not good I know) and not much improvement. Stars fine but still bogs down. Smoking alot(rich), gas dripping out of front of carb (carb cover off) and when giving trottle misses before it dies. I know ive tweaked this thing out not for the good, beyond imagine. But she still starts. Any help from you guys would help immensely. The boat shops here are all backed up till mid June, and they were my only hope. I kind wanna get her out again before then. Fuel Pump? Carb Kit? Timing? Sorry for the novel.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Ruben

Realgun

Commander
Re: 1990 90 HP Force need help

Very Fisrt thing is we are filling up the lakes as we speak. :) I know where you are Santa Cruz and <br /><br />>>>>>WELCOME TO iBOATs<<<<<<<<<<<<<<br /><br />Now lets see if we can help you. Very Fisrt thing you need to do is get a MANUAL for that motor.<br /><br />DO not spray carb cleaner into the carb ever.

rubenjs2784

Cadet

Hello, Realgun! Nice to see some one from New Mexico. And buy the way nice project! Hope all goes well. I'm in Albuquerque, but Santa Cruz is my favorite fishin hole. I do have the manual (seloc). Thanks for the notificaton on the carb cleaner, I guess I'm learning as I go. So yesturday I removed the plugs and they were wet, also looked like they had a grey film on them also. Checked to see if all cylinders were firing and they all are, especially #2(shocked the crap out me). Do you think I need a carb kit, or maybe a new fuel pump? Also what is the correct position for the idle mixture screw, on the front of the carbs, so I can set them correctly for starters.<br /><br />Thanks again

Baldguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a 90hp force. I think the idle adjustment screw is 3/4 to 1 complete turn open. <br /><br />Agree on the no carb cleaner...when you do that you dilute the oil to fuel mixture and you're not lubricating the motor properly...you'll seize it that way....better to take the carbs off and clean them.<br /><br />You're way too rich. Can you adjust the butterflys back to the way they were when you got the boat? 80% open?

rubenjs2784

Cadet

Yes, I did go back to were they were before. All I had to do ajust the throttle linkage to were it was before and line it up with the indicator(line). The only thing I am worried about is, I also ajusted the trottle adjustment that has a bigger screw along with a lock nut this is connected to the throttle linkage, and connects to a rod that also moves what I belive is the timing under the flywheel. This screw directly touches the side of the power head. Hope that clears it up a little. Does this advance and retard when the throttle is moved? But there is also an adjustment directly under the flywheel I believe adjusts the timing, I did not touch that. All I messed with was the throttle linkage, and the thottle ajusment screw, and tweaked on the carbs. Hopefully the carbs will be an easy fix, 3/4 to one full turn out. Would that alone make the engine bog down and die when given throttle? These all work in conjunction together, that is why I am worried if I may have messed up one thing, all of them go in the crapper?

rubenjs2784

Cadet

Oh yea, forgot to mention that I have a small puddle of what looks like black crude oil that dripped off of the lower unit to the ground. It's not the lower unit, I replaced the water pump, and gear oil, all cheacked out fine. Lube was clean and not water in lower unit. I have heard that this is build up of oil when it is running to rich. Is this true?

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

That screw with the lock nut is the high speed idle stop. This sets the maximum speed for cold starts when you disengage the gears and go to high idle.<br /><br />Full throttle is just that, full throttle. The butterfly should open all the way at full throttle. This allows maximum air, a more lean condition.<br /><br />Sounds like your high speed jets may be plugged. try cleaning them with a fine wire.

rubenjs2784

Cadet

Oh yea, forgot to mention that I have a small puddle of what looks like black crude oil that dripped off of the lower unit to the ground. It's not the lower unit, I replaced the water pump, and gear oil, all cheacked out fine. Lube was clean and not water in lower unit. I have heard that this is build up of oil when it is running to rich. Is this true?

rubenjs2784

Cadet

Would any of you mappen to know the part number for NAPA for the Carb-Kit to this engine.<br /><br />1990 90 Hp Force OB<br />Serial#906X90B

Baldguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boy, I don't know what that black crude oil stuff is all about. When you get it back to running correctly, hopefully that black oil will go away...if it continues I'd look into it.<br /><br />I agree that the butterflys should be opening to close to 100%. If I've changed something and it doesn't work, I always put things back the way I found it....thus the reason I asked if you put them back to 80%...not necessary cause they're supposed to be that way.<br /><br />Jets and "reeds" I never had to get into on my Force....that would be worth looking into especially since you indicated that you cleaned the carbs.....maybe you got some gunk loose and it ended up where it wasn't supposed to.<br /><br />Timing I think will cause your issue as well. I believe the timing is supposed to slightly advance as throttle is increased. To adjust your timing, consult the manual. I seem to remember that the timing needs to be adjusted while the throttle in open....not full, but 1/2 way?<br /><br />Hope this helps.

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think your carb is flooding on you. Go ahead and get a kit at NAPA. They should be able to look it up for you. Take the carb off and clean it good and carefully check the float adjustment. Put it back together and give it a try. You really should get a Seloc or Clymer manual for this motor. It will help you a lot.

Realgun

Commander

I think you adjust the timing statically meaning the engine is not running. I beleieve it 30 degrees but not sure. The black stuff is unbernt oil&gas. Its alway there but when running better will be a lot less.<br /><br />To adjust the idle jet you light seat the screw and back off about 3/4 turn.<br /><br />I think the issue your having is off idle so you may have messed with the timing.