chrysler 55 ignition and electrical

bradrulz

Cadet
Thanks for any help at all, everyone! I ended up with what appears to be a very clean chrysler 55 longshaft outboard motor (modelguides say 1970-75 - ser# 555 HG 4265), only I believe it's missing some parts in the electrical system. I'm hoping I can tackle this, purchase necessary parts, hook them up and try and crank it.<br /><br />I downloaded and printed out the service manual only it's not terribly clear to me since it covers a number of different models it seems. <br /><br />There's a starter mounted with no wire(s) connected to it, I see no rectifier or ignition coil(s) at all (not even the double coil bracket is there), and the manual has pictures of a fuse box or something that is not on mine. The terminal block doesn't match the manual's schematic, either. Mine has 8 possible wires with the following breakdown (top to bottom):<br />yellow - "starter" (disappears into the harness)<br /><blank> - empty, no label nor wire connected<br />white - "mag tach" (only attached wire is black and goes up under flywheel)<br />green - "choke" (seems to go there alright)<br />orange - "heat" (goes to thermostat, right?)<br />red - "battery" (disappears into harness)<br />blue - "magneto" (actually blk wire and couples with "white" above, runs up under flywheel)<br />black - "ground" (was cut, so I pulled out of harness).<br /><br />Thanks for any help at all!<br />-brad

bradrulz

Cadet
Re: chrysler 55 ignition and electrical

http://bradrulz.com/55chrysler_electrical.gif <br /><br />Here's a picture of what I've got. (In the picture I had connected the ground wire to the bottom "ground" on terminal block). Definitely some missing stuff here, I think.<br /><br />Thanks again for any help!<br />-brad

Hi Brad,<br /><br /> The rectifier is up under the flywheel. I did notice that you don't have a starter solinoid. Unless I'm missing it somewhere or its hidden. The yellow should go to the solinoid. A heavy battery cable goes from the battery to the solinoid then a shorter one to the starter. Another small black wire goes from the small terminal on the solinoid to ground. Hope this helps somewhat. Also, there is an interlock switch between the yellow wire at the terminal block and the starter. Prevents the engine from being started while in gear.

bradrulz

Cadet

I'll look into the starter solinoid, thanks for that! And maybe I have the wrong manual for this thing because all the pictures have the rectifier mounted right on the starter bracket, and two big 'ole ignition coils w/ bracket mounted on the motor.<br /><br />Any way to find out for certain what year my motor is based on the serial number? And what the best manual is for it?<br /><br />Thanks!

Someone around here should be able to give you a year. The ignition coils should be located on the head. If you pull off the aft cover (4 screws) you'll see the plugs and two coils. I have a Clymer manual which seems ok. I also have the OEM parts manual and service manual. They are good for part numbers and assembly/disassembly procedures but are lacking in the trouble shooting section. You may be talking about a circuit breaker instead of a rectifier in your diagrams. Just a hunch.

bradrulz

Cadet

Thank you for the reply. much appreciated. I definitely need a starter solinoid and found it for $25 bucks, and it'll go right next to the little circuit breaker, so I've got that much figured out. <br /><br />I'll look into some different manuals and see if I can figure out the rest of this system. This might be a stupid question, but how do I know whether I have a 12v ignition (w/ or without alternator) versus magneto ignition system? It wouldn't surprise me if one of the P.O.s was in the middle of trying to switch from one to the other, leaving me in this utter state of confusion (even following along the manual), ha!<br /><br />I'll try and get ahold of some good manuals and a schematic and get to studying.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />brad

Clymer is a good bet for wiring diagrams. I would start there. The yellow starter wire goes from the terminal block to the interlock switch to the solinoid. The system should be a 12v system with a alternator under the flywheel. Under the flywheel sits 2 trigger modules (inside), alternator, cd module, capacitor and rectifier if its anything like my 60. Hope this helps. BTW. Everything to the right of the terminal block, none of the wires are shown on your picture, go to the key switch and a plate under the throttle.

artw45

Cadet

I have a 74 that looks just as you described. I believe this is the magneto model. The coils are under the flywheel.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

If you have magneto ignition you probably dont have a rectifier because the motor does not have a charging system. The white wire would have been for a factory chrysler tach. The orange wire would have been for a heat sensor in the motor and a horn at the console to let you know your motor is overheating. The wiring harness is generic in all the chryslers. If you look at the terminal strip the right side is the harness and the left side is the components on the motor. If the spot next to the harness is blank then you probably do not have that feature on your motor.<br /><br />Also your motor is 1974 or 75. Chrysler produced that model number for both years.