1998 force 90 hp water pump

crl97a

Cadet
I am attempting to replace the impeller on a 90 hp force. I have never done this before or worked much on an outboard. I bought a shop manual and have studied it well. I have not ripped into this yet and i am wondering how i get the pump cover , impeler , gasket and so forth over the drive shaft . I guess my question is do i have to drop the gear case all the way down. I read this was not a hard task . any advise would be appreciated. just dont want to screw any thing up.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 force 90 hp water pump

Yes you have to completely remove the lower unit from the motor. <br />Put the gearshift in forward before you drop the lower unit.<br /> If you tilt the motor about half way, you will be able to slide the lower unit off easily.<br /><br />Then you remove the pump housing cover and everything will slide up off of the driveshaft.<br /><br />Before assembly, put a tiny amount of grease or anti-sieze on the sides of the driveshaft splines, but not on the end of the driveshaft.<br /><br />Also, make sure the water tube properly connects itself to the powerhead .

timfromfc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1998 force 90 hp water pump

Get a repair manual before doing this. They contain step-by-step instructions for doing it right. Screwing up your impeller replacement could be a costly mistake.