Force 1996 wont start

Smuglr

Recruit
Fellas I need help from you motor gurus I have a 1996 force outboard on my tracker bass boat I was checking under the motor cover and noticed pieces of magnets laying around so we know one or more of the flywheel magnets broke when this happened it also chewed up the throttle control arm at the top of the control tower .The boat ran and would start even with a broken magnet.I decided to buy a good used flywheel same number as the one that came off it and a new throttle control arm. I went ahead and replaced the parts the engine turned just fine but wouldnt start. I checked for spark which was also ok so I figured if I was getting spark the stator was ok .I put a timing light on the the motor and found that the timing mark was off by 7 or 8 inches well thats not right but why would it be so far off could the timing magnet nearest the shaft have moved no idea if im getting spark the stator should be ok maybe the used flywheel I bought was bad . Im stumped fellas and need you pros to give me a hand .please email me smuglr@aol.com

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Force 1996 wont start

There is a linkage between the throttle control arm and the timing base. This is how you adjust the timing. Make sure this linkage was reinstalled properly.

Smuglr

Recruit
Re: Force 1996 wont start

I looked its on right I just have no idea whats going on plenty of sprk we have gas and no ignition. Kill switch is on should fire I even dis connected the upper throttle control arm and moveed it back and forth trying to get it fired upIm not an outboard mechanic but do just about everything on vehicles I was hoping you fellas had the answer and I want to thank you for your response Chuck