9.9 won't stay in gear

o541o

Recruit
I have a 1987 force 9.9 that is practically new (less than 40 hrs). Until last weekend I had no problems with it but then it started kicking out of forward gear after about 30 seconds at full throttle. It will stay in gear if I hold the shift lever.<br /><br />I drained the gear oil and found no water or metal shavings. (The oil was old and a charcoal gray color.) <br /><br />Any ideas what the problem might be?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 9.9 won't stay in gear

Howdy, NVBoater.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />That could be a damaged dog clutch, but more likely just needs adjustment of the shift linkage.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

o541o

Recruit

Thanks for the reply JB. I looked but there doesn't seem to be any external place to adjust it. Would the adjustment be done in the lower gear housing?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would need to refer to a Service Manual to tell you how and where to adjust it, NVBoater. I don't have one on that engine.<br /><br />Seems like a small thing to have to buy a manual for, but the manual will save you many troubles and bux in the future.<br /><br /> http://www.boatmotors.com/manuals.html <br /><br />Good luck. :)