Battery(s) and setup??

coktoastin

Cadet
Hello all. I have some questions about batteries... I need to purchase new batteries for my boat. This being my first boat, I was looking for some advise. It's a 77 Champion with a 1976 Chrysler Magnapower 75 hp (757HC) engine. Nothing is currently wired. I have a trolling motor, aeriator pump, bildge pump, nav lights, depth finder, and cigarette lighter receptical. Should I have one battery that is used just for cranking and the other battery used for running the other electricals? Or is one battery just for the trolling motor, and then use the other one for cranking and running the other electricals? Also, I've seen Cranking, Dual Purpose, and Deep Cycle batteries. What's the proper application on each.<br />Finally, I thought I read somewhere that you shouldn't use maintenance free batteries on the chrysler engines.. is that true? Any help or advise would be once again much appreciated. -Steve

Realgun

Commander
Re: Battery(s) and setup??

Get two batteries 1 marine starting and 1 deep cycle trolling. The Starting should not be sealed.<br />The trolling is only for trolling.<br /><br />Get a battery switch too that has 1 or 2 or 1 and 2 so if you kill the starting battery you can use the troller to start the motor.

Darren Smith

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Battery(s) and setup??

On my old boat I had 2 batteries wired in parallel, with a 12/24 volt trolling motor. Because of this I was unable to use the 1/2/both battery switches, and had 2 dual purpose batteries. I agree with Realgun in one cranking, one deep cycle, cranking for main, deep cycle for trolling with a switch. some trolling motors can be either 12 or 24, or both with a control switch at the helm. Wiring for both be carefull, because it is very easy to burn some wires or switches trying to get it right.