50hp force and t/stat

procraftmark

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a 1989 50 hp force that i just got and when I threw her in the water and fired her up the water comes out like a spray rather than a stream is this normal? Also does this motor have a t/stat that has to open up to allow the water to circulate and if so how long would it take.<br /><br /><br />thnx <br />mark

kenneth corn

Recruit
Re: 50hp force and t/stat

I have a 91 50hp, and from day one the water shoots out a in a spray instead of a stream.<br />It's still running strong!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

There is no telltale water indicator on that motor, just the exhaust relief holes on the back of the midsection, where some water will splatter out. You may want to add a water pressure gauge.<br /><br />Yes it has a thermostat. It is located just above the top sparkplug, it has a small cover over it. Shouldn't take long before it opens up, maybe a minute or two.

Realgun

Commander

I actuallay like the spray rather than the stream.<br />I Just replace my impeller and will be able to tell if I need to replace it again the spray shoots about 4 feet now! Was about 2.5 feet.

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Like everyone has stated, it just puts out a spray. I'd go ahead and check that thermostat just to see if it looks okay. Be careful of the cover screws. If the motor has been run in saltwater, they may twist off when you fo\got o remove them. If you hold your hand in the spray for the exhaust relief ports and it is very warm, but not scalding hot, then everything is working as it should be.

blackz3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same yr and hp moter with same spray<br />scared me at first to but its fine...as mentioned be real carefull with the thermo screws..if ya get them out ok but you may consider changing them.

procraftmark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

how do you really know by looking at the spray that enough water is being pumped? When I put her in the water for the first time this year and fired her up , the spray comes out problably 3 ft. at idle but the droplets are sooo fine that you almost have to put your hand back there to feel how much is coming ouy because the spray is so atomized . granted this is at idle and i didn't run it more than a couple of minutes. Kinda miss the old telltale stream i had with the other boat. For all i know the waterpump may of just been repaced before I bought it . .I am just tryin to see if i should take it in and pop for a new pump, i can't change it myself. any ideas?<br /><br /><br />thnx<br />mark

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 88 model puts out a pretty fine spray. I guess it could be worth it for peace of mind to get the pump replaced. However, it's not all that difficult to do. Just get a manual and follow the instructions and ask any questions you might have on here. Also, be sure to check and see if your heat alarm is working. To do this, locate the wire (orange) on the terminal strip. Turn on the ignition. Then ground the wire to the block. The alarm should go off. I learned the hard way (cooked motor) that this should be done periodically.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Ok, worried about not having a telltale on that motor?<br />2 things you can do. There is a small (1/4" ? ) pipe plug on the top of the motor, an inch or 2 in front of the thermostat housing.<br /><br />1 - You can remove the plug and install a water pressure gauge. The entire kit costs about $50. In volves running plastic tubing to the dash and cutting a hole in dash for the gauge.<br /><br />2 - You can remove the plug and fashion your own telltale using a fitting, reducing fitting, and 1/8" copper tubing. Drill a small hole in the side of the lower motor cowl and route the tubing thru the hole. You could use a fancy fitting or grommet here if you want. Cost, under $10. If too much water is shooting out, carefully squeeze the tubing a little.

procraftmark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thnx guys do I have to disconnect the wire to ground it or jumper it or?<br /><br /><br />thnx<br />mark

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just take a piece of wire as a jumper, hold it on the orange heat larm wire and touch the other end to the block. The alarm should sound.

procraftmark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

doc that won't short out anything will it? seems like the electronics are touchy on the forces.<br /><br /><br />mark

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All it does is complete the circuit to ground on the heat alarm only. Just be sure it's the heat alarm you are grounding. It should be labeled on the terminal strip.