Newbie Force buyers guide needed

ebsworj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, So I've been looking at several boats and all seem to have Force outboards. 1990 120HP , 1994 120HP, 1991 150HP. <br /><br />What should I look out for as far as problems go with these motors... I am mechanicly inclined but very new to the boating world.<br /><br />One guy with the 94' 120 HP said it was a 4-stroke. Can that be true?<br /><br />Thank you in advance for your knowledge

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Newbie Force buyers guide needed

Howdy, ebsworj.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />Force outboards tend to be fairly old technology. That is a double edged blade. They are easy to work on but need more care than many others. Parts can be a bit of a hassle to find.<br /><br />The '94 120hp is a 2 stroke. The guy selling it is either a liar or knows zilch about the engine. Stay away from that one. (He may have meant 4 cylinder).<br /><br />Get an on-the-water demo if at all possible. If not, drop your offer 20%.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Newbie Force buyers guide needed

when you get a force the first thing ya wanna do is change the impeller kit, t-stats and pressure contols, remove the head gasket and replace it clean the carbs and rebuild the fuel pump. also clean the puddle drains,later called a recirc system. if its a brunswick force with a black stator save money to replace it with the red stator kit when it fails. the kit is rather pricy:) :) .my experince with chysler,USMarine and later brunswick stuff has led me to some conclusions. 1 is 3,4 and 5 cyl motors pop head gaskets every few years for no apperant reason. if replaced as a maint procedure they never fail. the recirc screens clog rather easy. the fuel pumps last 2 or 3 years and can fail. the water pumps/housings fail in 3 years or less and most people that own a force can barly make the payments on the rig and do zero maintenance :) . so be aware that most likly nothing was ever done. get any and all maint and repair reciepts.