85hp FORCE OVERCHARGING.

BIG COL

Recruit
I HAVE A 1988 85hp FORCE OUTBOARD.BECAUSE OF THE TYPE OF ELECTRICAL SYSTEM FITTED IT CHARGES BETWWEN 17 TO 19 VOLTS AT 3500rpm TO FULL THROTTLE.IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN FIT A VOLTAGE REGULATOR IN THE PLACE OF THE RECTIFIER? I HAVE FITTED A NEW RECTIFIER AND THE VOLTAGE IS THE SAME AS BEFORE.

Re: 85hp FORCE OVERCHARGING.

Big Col,<br /><br />Can you place a photo from the motor ?<br />I think I have the same ( 85 pK ) but there was a change at FORCE around 1991.<br />I want to buy a prop but have to know for sure if the motor is from before 1991 and there are no regestrationplates at it.<br />Can you help me out ? SHould I sent a photo from my motor to you so you can compare them ?<br />Thanx in front<br /><br />FjH

Realgun

Commander

BIG COL DO NOT TYPE IN ALL CAPS!!!<br />Its like shouting we hear you just fine thankyou.<br />FJH<br />Check your prop nut if it is 15/16 use the old force props if it is 1 and 1/16 you get to use the merc prop of you choice.<br />Count to ridges in the hub if 15 your old. :) As in Force not sure the merc count 18 I think.

Laddies

Banned

That alternator system depends on the battery to act as a voltage cushion to prevent over chargeing you may have a bad connection in the system or a battery that is going bad. I am assuming that you are checking the output with a good test meter and not the accessory meter in the boat as they are not to accurate--Bob

dmann

Cadet

BIG COL<br /><br />I have a 1989 Force 85 HP outboard. I removed the small square rectifier unit and replaced it with a voltage regulator. I got the voltage regulator from a local shop that sells snowmobiles and ATVs. The wiring colors were even the same. After installation the voltage remains below about 14 volts.<br /><br />The unit was not real expensive or hard to install. If you would like more information I could get the name and part number for you.<br /><br />Good Luck.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

want2runbetter,<br /><br />The regulator is a good idea but you still have a problem with your wiring. There is no way a 10 or 12 amp charging circuit should be able to rise to 19 volts when connected to a battery. Someplace you have a loose or corroded conection. You need to track it down before you end up having to pull start that engine.

Hazarika

Recruit

I got exactly the same voltage reading as Big Col. 19V at 5000 rpm constant, no flickering. New battery and clean battery poles. Where should I start looking? <br />Want2runbetter, would you post the part number of the regulator?<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />Kem

dmann

Cadet

Hazarika,<br /><br /> I ordered a Universal Regulator (Model 090, for 200 watts or less and an electic start) and put it in place of the rectifier. I spoke to the shop that ordered it for me and was told it came from Parts Unlimited. The shop mentioned to check out the Dennis Kirk website and the regulator should be on there. I am in the office now, however, if you still need more information I will get the part number off the regulator when I get home. I can also send you a digital photo of the installation if you like. For the record, I installed the the regulator almost 2 years ago and the voltage has been regulated to less than 14 volts and the battery stays charged.<br /><br />Good luck.

Hazarika

Recruit

w2rb,<br /><br />Would you send me a photo and the part number? couldn't find the part so ended up buying the original Force rectifier. However, this is throwing out 16.5 volts, still to high.<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />kem<br />khazarika@yahoo.com