Force 120 ran great, then went dead, then ran rough.

Namron

Cadet
I was cruising, 1st time out of the garage, my Force 120 was running great, decided to go one last lap around the lake, taking it easy on her, all of a sudden she went dead going 40 mph, thought maybe I had moss on the prop or I hit something, neither was true, started her up, she was running rough and would not idle. I pulled plugs, all were dry. I did not hear any knocking either, just ran rough back to the dock. What do you think guys??? Help!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 120 ran great, then went dead, then ran rough.

Bummer, on your first time out.<br /><br />Hopefully a fuel problem, such as stirring up dirt from the bottom of the fuel tank.<br /><br />Check compression.<br />Check for strong spark.<br />If those are ok, check for fuel delivery to each cylinder.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Sounds like you over heated. Usually it wont start up for at least an hour after an overheat. If your motor has a telltale make sure water is coming out the back. Let it sit for a day or so and try and restart. If it still runs rough do as roscoe mentioned and also make sure the primer bulb staye hard. It is possible your fuel pump diaphram blew a hole or cracked.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

time to run a compression test and inspect the plugs. cross your fingers and pray the machine gods were just funnin.

jeff15svt

Cadet

i agree with rodbolt, unfortunaly i had a chrysler do that to me, and it ran after the fact, but as it turns out a ring exploded and destroyed the cylinder...... i would definatly check compression first.... and if you can, pull the jacket cover and inspect the cylinders