Chrysler 9.9 hp outboard..

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer
a good few years old.. electric start.. unrun for a while comes with a little boat we just acquired..<br /><br />anybody know much about them.. ??<br /><br />any help appreciated..<br /><br />trog100

Kiekhaeferscurse

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Chrysler 9.9 hp outboard..

lots of them still out there, uncomplicated as you can get, not very fuel good on fuel(not that a 9.9 can burn much...it was a crossflow if i rember right,squirt some storage seal into the cylinders, do a compression check,&spark check if thats okay check gearcase for oil, do a water pump and carb kit & fire her up...<br />Good luck

trog100

thanks Kiekhaeferscurse.. will follow your advice and see how it goes..<br /><br />trog100

trog100

engine seems to check over okay except someone had put a screwdriver down the carb intake and whacked the little brass tube that runs up from the bottom to the top.. i assume it feeds the slow running jets which seem to be at the top.. ???<br /><br />looks like a deliberate act by someone who didnt want the engine to run again easily.. do insurance companies do this kind of thing when they write off a boat i wonder..??<br /><br />have straightened out and de-kinked the little tube and gonna see it still works.. <br /><br />trog100

scotiany

You could check ebay and see if there's a similar carb up for bids.

trog100

the carb is very rudimentary device.. mounted sideways on.. a bigger brass tube goes halway up into the choke.. this one sprays from the main.. errr only jet.. as the throttle opens wider..<br /><br />thru this bigger tube runs a small one.. this goes all the way up thru the carb choke and feeds a little chamber at the top with five little drillings (holes) which go thru into the choke.. at idle two of em are engine side of the butterfly as the butterfly opens this exposed the other three.. a tapered adjuster screw governs what enters the little chamber from the small tube..<br /><br />i recon the little chamber acts a bit like an accelerator pump does and empties itself as the throttle butterlfly moves past the extra three holes.. the first two provide the idle gas.. has to be this way cos the five holes in total are one hell of a lot bigger than the small tube which feeds it all.. the whole lot being fed by the main jet which is in the side of bigger tube still which pokes down into the float chamber..<br /><br />i replaced the bent little tube with one out of a printer ink refill kit syringe that by pure chance happend to be the right length and diameter.. he he<br /><br />someone said these engines aint very good on gas.. looking how simplistic the thing they call a carburettor is i can see why.. he he <br /><br />still it all seems to work in a spluttery two stroke kinda way..<br /><br />the other thing showing noticable wear was the long shaft that goes down from engine to clutch/gearbox.. there are three seals each one has caused deep wear groves on the shaft.. the important one under the impellor tween water and oil is the least worn which is lucky.. i cant see as the upper two do that much anyway.. gonna run it and see if water gets into the bottom half.. if it does we need a new shaft..<br /><br />does anybody know roughly what viscosity oil is supposed to go into these things.. ??<br /><br />trog100<br /><br />ps.. we live in the UK.. spares aint quite as easy to get as in the US..