Gas & air leaking at clip connection to motor

azbassn

Recruit
I have a 1996 Force 120 on a 18ft F/S. I was cruising down the lake and my motor started sputtering. My partner said it might be air getting in the line. When I got home I pumped the primer bulb and air and gas were escaping from the "clip connection" to the motor. I couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from. Does this sound like the clip connection or the other part it hooks to in the motor? Any help is appreciated and Thanks in advance.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Gas & air leaking at clip connection to motor

Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />That sure is a possiblity worth pursuing. I'd eliminate it. I really never understood why they had a connector on a permanently mounted motor. Those were intended for portable tanks and/or portable motors. On a permanently mounted motor with a built-in gas tank, they serve no practical purpose. Just get a 5/16 double ended hose barb and connect the hoses directly. Far cheaper and far more reliable.

azbassn

Recruit

Hell, I can do that. Thanks

Realgun

Commander

I think they did that becase they sold the motor without know what the aplication would be. All motors are sold that way even though 99% of the Big motors are going to be fed from a permanent tank. I was wondering if I should eliminate the link there also but what if I had a 6 gal aux tank when I ran out.

azbassn

Recruit

Just don't run out! I got the barbed coupler, I was wondering if I should put some kind of filter on before the coupler just for the heck of it or would that not be a good idea?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I would install a water separating filter, if you have room.<br />Also install a shutoff valve.