Compression?

jippie98

Seaman
I have a 89 85hp Force engine. Just had the compression checked and it was 135,132,135 when it was winterized at the shop. Is this good? What can i do to improve it? Also I havee not been able to find a 13 pitch prop for this motor. Any ideas? Thanks for the help everyone has been very informative.....

jippie98

Seaman
Re: Compression?

I am also concered because this motor has never seen anything above 400RPM WOT. If I put a 13 pitch prop on it will it hurt the engine since it has never had rpm that high? Or will it be better for the engine to see that rpm? THanks

Realgun

Commander

I think you mean 4000 r.p.m.. How are you getting this measurement? Even though the compression looks outstanding I believe you might have a misfire somewhere. I live at 5000Ft altitude and am going to a 15inch prop. I do not have a tach but I know what an engine like this sounds like at 5000 r.p.m.. I purchased a 15 pitch prop. At sea level should be a 17 pitch.<br />Do a search on hustler props.<br /><br /> Search! <br /><br />This is a thread that might help.<br /><br />I love to buy fron iBoats however you may need to talk to Phils prop shop to fit the Hustler prop on your engine. There is a new trust washer needed. I also needed the 1A hub (I beleive) and an OMC Huslter prop.<br />As far as I know it should be fine. The trust washer allowed the prop to run inside the housing of the motor and not rub.

jippie98

Seaman

The tach reads 4000RPM......Shop tested it and said that it was running great. Tech said it would probably be a good idea to get carbs rebuilt since they never have but other than that it was running fine. It is on a 18ft boat and that does not seem like a lot of motor for 18ft. I was hoping a new prop would help it deal with the boat and get more than 4000rpm. Thanks